Team Camaro Tech banner

idler arm options

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mlicker 
#1 ·
My dougs headers are hitting the moog idle arm. Finally found some post about "rare parts 20227" arm the is like the OEM and clears the header.

Auto zone has it for 126$ which is not as bad as orielys at 224$ but still steep.

Looking through Rock auto there are a lot of options, does anyone know the say,, AC delco,, delphi etc are smaller in diameter like the 202227??

#2 ·
Not really the answer to your idler arm question, but related.
I installed Dogs Headers on my 69. I have a 350 with raised D port Fast burn GM heads. I bought these after much searching for advice here many years ago. Many many posts and pictures of installations showed that the headers fit perfect with clearance at the steering box and idler arm.
"Your results may vary".
On mine the headers hit both the steering box and the idler arm. I have the correct engine stands and mounts for a 350. I ended up dinging both sides of my new $600 headers to get them to work. If the mounting flanges were installed with just a bit more angle I think they would have fit. My theory is sloppy manufacturing tolerances for this part.
Other than that they fit the heads well, which was the most important thing on these heads. They also hang down like all long tube headers I've seen. My car sits very low so they now have the flattened header syndrome too.
My next set will be shorty headers from Sandersen.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.