Team Camaro Tech banner

Heidts a arms and hotchkis springs

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  69Project 
#1 ·
Wondering if any one has had problems using Heidts lower control arms and Hotchkis 2" lowering springs togather on a 1969 Camaro? Went to install my Hotchkis springs today and springs will not fit into the Heidts lower control arm pockets,measured and there is .200 difference!! With the springs being to big or arms to small.Talked to both companies and said it was a tolerance problem,of course they blame it on one another. Springs measure 5.100 O.D. and pockets where springs should sit 4.900. Hotchkis tech guy could not even tell me if they used GM , Moog or whatever to pattern there springs from. Anyone know GM O.D. dimensions on front coils??
Thanks

#4 ·
Suspension springs are designated by coil ID. Heavier rate springs are usually made from thicker wire diameter, so the coils get larger on the OD as a result. Cross breeding suspension parts is bound to have some problems like this.

You may be able to use other coils like Hyperco, they are made from smaller dia wire but better material. The problem there is, they are 9.5" tall and require a threaded "hidden" adjuster that sits on top of the coil. It must be adapted to fit in the upper spring pocket, it's not a drop-in.
Otherwise I suggest you return your arms and either use stock arms or Global West, DSE, or Speed Tech lower arms. Hotchkis will have tubular arms sometime this year too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.