air ride - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 06, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

air ride

any opinions on air ride tech thinkin of doing shockwaves in front and the air bar in back any opinions ty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 05:09 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Re: air ride

bluntz420,

I work for Air Ride Tech. So I may be bias but if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them for you!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 12:05 PM
Senior Tech

so i am too lazy to retype my earlier response to air ride on importkiller's post so here is a copy of what i typed earlier:

well one good reason, is that as you lower the car to lower the center of gravity (a good thing to make the car handle better) the spring rate decreases (a bad thing) as you let more air out of the system

another is that most of the time you cant run shocks up front with the bags, this may have changed, i dont keep up on this stuff (and it has changed so never mind this part if you want the shockwaves, they have shocks built in)

and if you want to have side to side adjustments, you cant have sway bars

not to mention that you need a pump, air tanks, lines, valves which add a lot of weight and the increased load on your electrical system

and that if you are driving on the freeway and blow a line, bag, or some how lost pressure, your car would be dragging on the ground and you probably just hit something, or just caused major damage, if the car didnt roll, or you got lucky and it was a rear bag that lost pressure, and it would be no where near as bad

but again its just my opinion that air bags are not handling performance
and i am not saying that its a bad ride, they can be very comfortable
and i have heard the test where some company tested their air suspension against some other suspensions and it out performed them, but i believe what i believe

then jeremy gave a link to some stuff to read and this pic came up: (scroll all the way down to the bottom
http://www.ridetech.com/productinfo/shockwave.asp

look at this pic, and from memory (without the car in front of me) but my car doent have this cut out in the subframe to make room for an airbag
and that would substantialy weaken the subframe

and here is a pic of a sub frame, just to show that the cut out should not be there
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c8...s/25175736.jpg
again i stole that pic from importkiller's thread

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 06, 01:10 PM
Tech Team
Jeremy

OK I did not know that in the last thread that this was a question! I thought it was just your opinion. So here we go.
The spring rate can be changed by the amount of pressure you have in the bag. You can change the pressure in small increments to change the spring rate without changing the ride height that much.You can use shocks in the front, heck we do not sell a kit with out them! This helps with the ride quality and the performance. As you already know. Now the compressor kit, It does add weight to the vehicle. A kit with a 3-5 second rise time will add about 28-30lbs. But how much weight are you loosing by going to air? Depends on the vehicle. As far as the electrical the compressor has a max draw of 16Amps. Some car stereos have more than that. The reliability of the air suspension, You see it going up and down our highways every day. It is on the eighteen wheelers that haul coal,rock and other freight. Everything we use is D.O.T. approved just like on those trucks, and installed correctly there will be no leaks or concern of a blow out. We drive them every day year round and have for ten years! Now trimming out the coil spring pocket is something you have to do on most vehicles. This does not hurt the integrity of the frame. Some of the pictures you were looking at were from displays so you can see the Shock Waves.

Last edited by Jeremy536; Jan 14th, 06 at 05:50 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

jeremy whats the kit cost top to botoom everythnig i need obv all the best stuff
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 05:09 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

The price for the best of the best for the first generation "F" body is our street challenge package. ( STR-1100 )

This includes:

Double adjustable ShockWaves for the front
Front Muscle Bar sway bar
Rear bolt in four link Airbar with double adjustable ShockWaves
ARC4100e compressor kit with a 3-5 second rise time and the RidePro e control system with the preset on start.

And the REM6500 remotes to control the system from outside the car.

All of the above for $4995.00

This is the best kit I offer for that car.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 07:03 AM
Tech Team

So the rear system works fine with "other" front shocks? I have an aftermarket front clip...

How much for the rear only system?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 07:15 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Rear AirBar with ShockWaves $1995.00 What front clip do you have?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 08:05 AM
Tech Team

Wayne Due / AM frame.

Sorry for the HiJack bluntz420.. Hopefully good info for you as well.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 09:01 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

Looks like A mustang II ?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 09:34 AM
Tech Team

Yeah, it uses some mustang parts. Art Morrison design I believe.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 10:56 AM
Tech Team
Jeremy

I thought so! I do have a set up for that front clip. It would be the SKW1000 ShockWaves $849.00 per pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode