Tech Team
al

ball joint stud/cotter pin

Click image for larger version

Name:	loose ball joint.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	282

The nut is currently loose and just catches the cotter pin if I tighten it to 12 Lbs. of torque it would be far past the pin. The new control arms are new from year one. Not impressed with them at all lower ones don't even have holes for bumpers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 02:53 PM
Senior Tech
Jon

Re: ball joint stud/cotter pin

How about using a washer? Or a thicker nut?

Jon N

The only reason someone would want insurance is if they want to pay someone elses bills or want someone else to pay their bills.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
al

I guess a 1/8" thick washer will work and let me torque it correct. It will just look stange having a washer there. You would think for the price they would drill bumper holes and check stud length.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 06, 06:26 PM
David Pozzi

The rubber bump stops were used in three different positions on 67, 68, and 69 Camaros. Two of those were on the lower A arm, 69 in front, 68 was to the rear of the spring, 67 was on a bracket attached to the frame and to the rear of the spring.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 05:58 AM
Tech Team

I had a variation of this problem with spindles from Rick's First Gen. The lower ball joint fit fine while the nut for the upper just barely reached the cotter pin drilling. I couldn't get the pin through so I safety wired it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 07:10 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

If the cotter key will not fit the nut, you need a taller castleated nut. Do not use a washer, Thats southern engineering and you dont need that. If the ball joint stud is going too far into the knuckle,, something may be wrong , remember that there is a taper on both.

As for the bumpers for upper arms,, they fit in frame , the lower fit on the arm on a 69. At least thats the way mine are.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
al

I have spent so much time on making everything perfect the taller castleated nut would look best. I have my old lower control arms so I can use then as a reference in drilling the two holes for bumper. This is my first restoration so I guess assuming most new parts will fit correct was wrong. I had 143 new parts delivered last week so I will keep all the old stuff until the job finished. Thanks for the replies I hope to help others at some point.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 06, 08:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

You are correct about keeping all the old stuff until you are through, more times than any, the repro part will not be the same is some respects. Nothing wrong with using the old nut unless you can go down to a local GM parts dealership and ask for a factory nut.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode