10-bolt Rear Disc Brake Axles - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

10-bolt Rear Disc Brake Axles

I have a 8.5 inch 10-bolt rear end with disc brakes out of an '81 T/A. The car I pulled it out of was wrecked and both axles are slightly bent at the axle flange. Anyone know if the disc brake axles were the same length as drum brake axles?

I would take the axles out and measure them, but the axle lengths I see in the catalogs are measured to the 1/16th of an inch and I'm afraid that the bends would affect my measurements.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 08:48 AM
Senior Tech
Keith

Re: 10-bolt Rear Disc Brake Axles

I'm not ure exactally the differences, but I do know for a act that the disc brake cars use different axles than the drum brake cars. I believe that the differences are the distance from the flange surface to the bearing surface is shorther and the flange diameter is smaller. I'm not 100% but I think this is the difference, but I do know that the two are not interchangeable. Your bst bet is to call Moser engineering, a set of their replacement axles are cheaper than 1 new GM axle, and they're much stronger also.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

That rear won't fit a 1st gen, will it? Isn't that one too wide? (I'm making an assumption this is for your 1st gen)

I'd also make sure the tubes/housing is not bent and check for bearing damage.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 01:02 PM
Senior Tech

Actually, there is no difference in the length of the 8.5 axles between a disc and drum brake car. I did the WS6 conversion on my 75 about 18 months ago. I put both axles side by side and everything measured the same. The problem you are going to have is that the 8.5 from a 2nd gen f-body will not fit a 1st gen Camaro (It's too wide). The disc brake setup from the T/A will install on the 8.5 and 8.125 ten bolts and the and 8.875 twelve bolt. using it on the shorter rear will require custom brake lines and e-brake cables.

There is a fine line between hobby and obsession!

69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
69 350/350 4 Speed Corvette Convertible

Click on my Cardomain user name to view both cars.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 01:21 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Ok, that is what I thought. I am learning.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 07:35 PM
David Pozzi

Not only overall width, but the spring perches are farther apart too. I think it's an inch wider both overall and the perches. With the right wheel offsets it could work if the perches were moved.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

Thanks for the responses. Through various other internet channels, I was also able to confirm that the disc and drum axles are the same length. However, there is some debate whether the two axles are identical.

Apparently, each axle had a separate GM part number. Additionally, I had one person tell me that the wheel centering lip machined on the face of the WS6 axle flange was smaller than the lip on the drum brake flange. The concern raised was that if the wheel was centered by the wheel studs rather than the axle flange, that too much stress would be put on the wheel studs.

Bottom line though is that you can use drum brake axles in a WS6 disc brake rear end.

P.S., the rear end is going in a friend's '72 Firebird.

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 10:45 AM
Senior Tech
Keith

The only thing I don't understand is the whole the 2nd gen rear won't fit a first gen car thing. Yes you have to move the spring perches and shorten the drive shaft, but that's it. I have sitting side by side on my garage floor the original 8.2P out of my 67 Firebird and a 8.5 disc brake rear end out of a 79 Trans am. Both are completely assembled minus brakes and both are the exact same width from axle flange to axle flange. I have a 8.5 out of a 74 Camaro under my 69 and the wheels fit exactally the same as they did with the stock 8.2C axle.So my question is, which cars exactally had a wider rear end, becase it's very clear to me that it's not all the second gen cars.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Gene

A little more clarity on the difference between disc and drum axles.

The difference is that the wheel mounting lip on the disc brake axle's flange is taller than it is on the drum brake axle. This makes sense because the mounting area of a disc brake rotor is thicker than the mounting area on a drum. As a result, there is less of the lip that sticks out to center the wheel.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode