Master Cylinder - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Master Cylinder

I am putting disc brakes on my 67 camaro. Can any one tell me the best master cylinder to use. I heard once to use a 71 corvette master cylinder. They will be manual disc brakes. Can you also tell me if I can use the proportional valve from a 76 firebird or should I just plum the fronts brakes direct and use an adjustable valve on the rears? Lots of questions but you input will be very helful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 07:49 PM
David Pozzi

Re: Master Cylinder

What kind of disc brakes will you put on? Stock?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

davidpozzi- Yes my plan is to use stock 71 monty carlo calipiers and rotors. Use a 1" master cylinder from a 76 firebird with the proportioning valve from a power disc 76 firebird. Will the proportioning valve work since it is from a power disc 1 1/8'' master? Will the braking force between the front disc to the back drums be alright on my 67 since the valve is from a 76 firebird?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 10:19 AM

When I converted my manual drum brake 68 camaro to manual front disc/rear drum I tried a few different master cylinders. I ended up using a 1967 Firebird manual master cylinder with 1 1/8" bore. This was available from Napa. I only have about 500 miles on the new brakes, but so far so good. I don't have a proportioning valve on the system. I just plumbed/rearranged how the lines go into the existing brake line routing valve under the master cylinder. I know this isn't a proportioning valve but decided to see how they would work without it. I haven't had any problems yet.

For reference: I used 1975 1/2 ton truck calipers (2 15/16" pistons) and 1975 corvette rotors (11 3/4").
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

On the master, you could use a 1". The 76 Firebird manual brake master uses a shorter pushrod with a retainer for the master. The Corvette one has a deeper hole in the back of the master, and should fit your original pushrod without a retainer.

On the prop valve, it hasn't a care which master you use. It is chosen based primarily on wheel brake torque and weight transfer. The one for the 76 Firebird was used with larger rear cylinders with otherwise the same brakes front and rear, and similar vehicle weight.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 06, 07:10 PM
David Pozzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vert
davidpozzi- Yes my plan is to use stock 71 monty carlo calipiers and rotors. Use a 1" master cylinder from a 76 firebird with the proportioning valve from a power disc 76 firebird. Will the proportioning valve work since it is from a power disc 1 1/8'' master? Will the braking force between the front disc to the back drums be alright on my 67 since the valve is from a 76 firebird?
I would use a 1" bore MC from a third gen corvette with manual brake option. This one should have the deep hole for manual brake use so the pushrod won't fall out.
The prop valve should work but if you want the best possible rear brake percentage, then just use the drum distribution block and put an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line, then set it so the fronts lock before the rears do.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 06:04 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

I've been running stock disc up front with 11" drums in back. I used to have a 1" MC (manual here), and then I switched to a 7/8" Wilwood and I love it. Much better feel and control.

It's the new Wilwood aluminum MC that bolts up and fits like a glove in a Camaro.

Here's the link:
http://static.summitracing.com/globa...60-8555_cp.jpg

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 09:48 AM
Senior Tech

Do you have a part#? The 60-8555 in the pic has a 1" bore.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 11:19 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohcscott
Do you have a part#? The 60-8555 in the pic has a 1" bore.
The protype is currently on my car, and I gave it the thumbs up to Wilwood to start production. It should be available shortly, although it's currently in our 2006 catalog.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode