10 Bolt 8.5 Inch rearend swap - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

10 Bolt 8.5 Inch rearend swap

Anyone know if there is a 10 bolt 8.5 inch rearend that will directly bolt onto a 68. If so what car it comes from thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 04:33 PM
Senior Tech
armin

Send a message via MSN to pro1
Re: 10 Bolt 8.5 Inch rearend swap

71-77 nova.omega,skylark etc.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 06:17 PM
Senior Tech

low rider,

I actually just had this same discussion in the below thread.
Hope it helps

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=71327

I purchased a '73 Nova 10 bolt 8.5, but I have not installed it yet as I am going to rebuild it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 06, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

Nova, Omega,Ventura, Apollo rearends. Some 71's used the 8.5 some the 8.2, you'll have to check. All 72-75 used the 8.5. All 76-79 with factory V-8 used teh 8.5, the 6cyl. in 76-79's used a 7.5. All will bolt in.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 08:07 AM
Senior Tech

I would have thought it was Nova (and such) 71 - 74?? I thought they got a wider rear in 75 when the body style changed... no?? Don't quote me on that, but that's what I thunk I heard.

I have a 8.5 from a 73 Nova in my 68. It was a direct bolt-in.

Robb
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 08:19 AM
Senior Tech
Gene

A quote from 69X11 on another thread:

"The only thing I don't understand is the whole the 2nd gen rear won't fit a first gen car thing. Yes you have to move the spring perches and shorten the drive shaft, but that's it. I have sitting side by side on my garage floor the original 8.2P out of my 67 Firebird and a 8.5 disc brake rear end out of a 79 Trans am. Both are completely assembled minus brakes and both are the exact same width from axle flange to axle flange. I have a 8.5 out of a 74 Camaro under my 69 and the wheels fit exactally the same as they did with the stock 8.2C axle.So my question is, which cars exactally had a wider rear end, becase it's very clear to me that it's not all the second gen cars."

1969 Camaro - Intense Blue Pearlcoat/white (Baldwin-Motion paint scheme), stock 6.2 liter L92 with VVT, LS3 intake, Doug's Headers; Tremec TKO, 3.73 12-bolt posi.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 04:42 PM
Senior Tech

there is an article in the Feb Chevy Hi Performance or Car Craft that details this swap exactly
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 08:50 PM
Senior Tech

A quote from 69X11 on another thread:

"The only thing I don't understand is the whole the 2nd gen rear won't fit a first gen car thing. Yes you have to move the spring perches and shorten the drive shaft, but that's it. I have sitting side by side on my garage floor the original 8.2P out of my 67 Firebird and a 8.5 disc brake rear end out of a 79 Trans am. Both are completely assembled minus brakes and both are the exact same width from axle flange to axle flange. I have a 8.5 out of a 74 Camaro under my 69 and the wheels fit exactally the same as they did with the stock 8.2C axle.So my question is, which cars exactally had a wider rear end, becase it's very clear to me that it's not all the second gen cars."

2.gen camaro rear is exactly 1" long. spring perches difrent. I know because I have 2. gen and nova rear in my garage also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode