Steering Box Upgrade and pittman Arm - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Steering Box Upgrade and pittman Arm

Can you use the standard power steering box pittman arm in a 3rd gen conversion?

I've read the upgrade instructions posted on this site, but cannot determine if its necessary, it mentions a Moog Long Pittman Arm, but does it need to be bought, especially if the one you have is still good.

Barry Holland
67 RS Camaro
327, 4speed
Restoration in process, started Oct. 2005
Owned since 1981, first car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 11:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Steering Box Upgrade and pittman Arm

yes, the original (or new for early camaro) pitman fits and is required. The original nut fits too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 06, 07:50 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

I just did this swap. I got the kit from Lee amnufacturing for the rag joint and coupler (it's $87 dollars now), the box from NAPA (the cheapest I found at $170 with a $27 core charge) and a replacement TRW pitman arm for a 69 with power steering from Advanced auto ($57) and it all goes together great.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 08:57 AM
Tech Team
Tom

69X11, I did the same as you. I'm am a little disappointed in the steering effort is too easy. I was hoping for more effort. Do you a like your conversion as far as steering feel?

Tom
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 11:17 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

I too would like to hear from folks who have done this. I have all the parts including the 3rd gen "Z" steering box, but I'm a little afraid what the result will feel like.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech

Tom M what model steering box did you get? Cardone 276550? The steering should not feel overassisted or easy, it should feel like a sports car. Mine feels very similiar to my 2003 G35 feel. I think a few who have done the upgrade are not getting the exact box 'Performance Suspension' version. This is a Cardone 276550 or GM 7843512. RockAuto.com has this box as well as Kragen.com. If you use 92694 for the zip code you can get the box for $139, if I use 75013 for the zip it jumps to $225. Not sure if it would let me add to cart under one zip and ship to another but RockAuto sells that 276550 at an affordable price as well.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech

i just want to say that when i bought my first 3rd gen box (from a wrecking yard) i was not very happy with it, it was too easy and light
but when it started to leak, I bought a replacement from a parts store, and wow
looking back i am sure that the first box was not the "Z" or whatever the better box is
and the second one definantly was correct, and i am very happy with it
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 01:54 PM
Senior Tech
Billy Morris

Steering Box Upgrade and pittman Arm

The steering box from a third gen has to be a Performance Type meaning a
Z/28,Trans Am or Formula with performance package. The road feel is great.
A real improvement over the too easy to steer stock box. You may need to drill out the orifice in the pump depending on tire size if the steering is too hard or notchy at low speed. Well worth the time & money.

Billy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 02:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

dittio what brian and billy said.
The listing shows as "special high performance suspension" and the box was used in IROC-Z's and WS6 TransAms in the mid late 80's. I used 1987.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 02:39 PM
Senior Tech
Billy Morris

Steering Box Upgrade

Lee manufacturing told me that up to a 92 would work so that is the year that I purchased. Best upgrade to driving performance especially with the Gulstrand Modification.

Billy
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 20th, 06, 04:29 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

I looked up the partnumbers I needed on the NAPA site to get NAPA's part number for the 276550 box to make sure I got the right one. I went in and ordered it with the part number I looked up. I didn't do the Gulstrand mod, but I run Hotchkis springs front and back, full poly bushings, solid sub frame bushings, and a 1 1/8 Addco front sway bar. The car drives like a 90 Formula WS6 I had, but handles better, even with the big block.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 06, 08:10 PM
Tech Team
Tom

Brian Lewis, I just looked at my steering box the number on the top side is 7826692. Any idea what this is. I guess I was given the wrong box from what you and others are saying about the steering feel.

Thanks for the feed back.

Tom

Tom
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 06, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech

1990 and on they used metric threads, so if you use a pre-89 box you can reuse your stock lines
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 07:27 AM
Tech Team
Tom

Guys, I can really use your help. As you may have read above, I have done this upgrade but my steering effort/feel is not what it should be since I have very little steering feel and steering effort. With this, I have checked my steering box. It has 7826692 stamped on the side. I then got my NAPA receit which shows part number 27-6550.

Can anyone tell me if the NAPA part number is the same as the Cardone part number for this part? I am trying to determine if I got the right part with this NAPA part number or the wrong one.

Also, can anyone tell me the part number that will be stamped on the side of the steering box when I get the correct part?

TIA

Tom M

Tom
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jan 22nd, 06, 06:54 PM
Senior Tech

As others have stated in another thread, the stamping on the outside will not mean anything. These are refurbished units and could have anything inside the casing to make the feel or ratios different.

According to NAPA's website, the Napa 276550 is an 85 Chevrolet Camaro Iroz with FE3 Sports Suspension, just like the Cardone unit is. So it sounds like you should have the right box. As for if it was rebuild properly to be a 276550 thats another question all together!

Also you will run into the issue if trying to remove your 'inserts' from the unit to stick in the next unit. I am sure LEE will send you a new set at an affordable price though if you decide to try another box.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode