budget rear brakes on first gen - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

budget rear brakes on first gen

i am looking to upgrade the rear drums on my 69..i am on a tight budget and dont want to pay alot for liek a bear or some other big name kit..i know i can do the rear disc kit out of like ricks or classic. but i will be doing the fronts with the c5 or ls1 conversion and i know it will cost roughly about 500 is their a conversion for the rear that is liek this for cheaper..thanks bryan

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

Re: budget rear brakes on first gen

correct me if i am wrong: is this all i need to do the c5 conversion on the front? drum spindle/hub from 1st gen

97+ C5 caliper, or Zo6 caliper, or 98+ Fbody caliper, 98+ Fbody caliper bracket 98+ Fbody rotor (12" only.) 98+ Fbody front brake line new bearings and lug studs and the custom bracket...however i have stock front discs can those spindles be used or will i have to get the drum spindles.....and i still need to know about the rear?

My car pics...

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

ttt...

My car pics...

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 06, 11:01 PM
Senior Tech

I can't help you with the rears, but I just installed the C5 kit on the front of my 68. Yes, you can use your disc spindle, but you have to make sure the adaptor bracket is machined for that spindle. Most kits are for use with the drum spindle. You will also need drum hubs. I ordered my brackets from speed tech and I love them, but after hours and hours of scrounging parts to make it all work I wish I would have just ordered everything from www.touring-classics.com. I'm not trying to promote them, but they have a big brake kit with all the parts included for around the same money I spent trying to piece it all together. I didn't know about them when I began this quest. Realistically you can buy just the brackets and locate everything from ebay and other classifieds/dealership. I just don't think I actually saved any money when all is said and done. As for the rear, I don't know about discs, but I believe it's Master Power Brakes that offers a very large finned drum brake upgrade that seems to work every bit as good as a disc setup. The rear brakes are not nearly as critical. I plan to stay with drums out back and just upgrade to the larger size.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 03:06 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sidney

Check out this guy.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-...32161452QQrdZ1

I think he told me the rear disc kit WITHOUT the master cylinder was $399...or something close. You can get 4 wheel disc from him for around $1100. I haven't seen any that were any cheaper.

'69 RS/Z28 Tribute or Recreation or whatever it's called ~ In Progress!
'69 Z28 X77/D80 ~ Appreciating
'69 Camaro ~ In Waiting.......
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

so i would still hvae to get the drum hubs and find someone to make the bracket for me?

My car pics...

post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 08:29 AM
Senior Tech

Check out this link. Junk yard cheap rear brakes can be had from a Cadillac. You'll have to buy Trans Am Rotors. I priced them at around $65 bucks each. I will be eventually doing this swap on my 76 Nova SS. Doesn't get any cheaper than this.

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/6765/page11.html

67 Camaro SS 350 (clone)
80 Z-28
82 Trans Am
76 Nova SS

All junk, but working on them

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

what all would i need from a donot car like a 4th gen camaro t/a vetter to swap rear drums to disc

My car pics...

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech

I got one from 4.gen camaro and fits no problem. My car is 67 so i got the schocks on same side. You must get the 2 same side to complete. I dont know wich sides to get . A reaserch in the side would give you enough info.
good luck
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

67ptcamaro....can you tell me all the parts that you had to get i guess i am a little lost on the backing plate thing never really tore into the rear end like this being only 19 any help would be great

My car pics...

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

i am now seeing that more people are doing the c4 conversion...i guess my question is which is the easiest route and the cheapest to do..i will concentrate on the fronts first..

My car pics...

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 11:09 PM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by importkiller69ss
i am now seeing that more people are doing the c4 conversion...i guess my question is which is the easiest route and the cheapest to do..i will concentrate on the fronts first..
Most adaptor brackets are for use with a C5 caliper. With that set-up you can use either a C4 or C5 rotor. The C4 rotor offers a little more clearance for your rim to clear the caliper. There is nothing wrong with drums on the rear at all. The rear disc thing is exagerated. It looks cool through the spokes, but doesn't offer any advantages to a beefier drum. Plus all your hardware just bolts up without any hassle. Just a thought.
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

which would be the cheapest route to take on the front...c4 c5 or just the regular 98+f-body..this is just a daily driver.

My car pics...

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 11:29 PM
Senior Tech

I would suggest go with C5 set-up. It is better. I have the C4 but then C5 was not around when I did mine. Also with C5 and rear disks I think if you want you can run manual master if you want .
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 01:55 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

I would suggest not mixing a C4/5 front caliper with any earlier model (70-80's Caddy, trans-am, etc.) The difference in caliper bore sizes makes for a mis-matched system that can be dangerous. A while back one of the car mags did a 0-100-0 competition. Craig Boone's '69 Camaro spun out twice at high speed because the rear brakes had too much bias that could not be tuned out with a proportioning valve.

Here's how to do the C4/4th-gen Z28 conversion using mostly GM parts. It can easily be duplicated using junkyard parts. It's basically the Baer 13" Track front / 12" Touring rear. It's is a very capable system when combined with a proper pad, master cylinder, and booster. http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode