Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Send a message via AIM to tronic72
Subframe Body Mounting Kit Question

Hi,

I've just purchased a subframe body mounting kit and was expecting the rubbers to be all the same but the kit came with 3 pairs and each pair is slightly differant. Does anyone know which pair goes where?

Thanks, Mark J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 04:08 PM
Banned

Question Re: Subframe Body Mounting Kit Question

Little ones in front under the rad. support, big ones in the middle two mounts and the medium sized ones in back.

How far off am I guys??

pdq67

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 06:12 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Re: Subframe Body Mounting Kit Question

Mark, I'm about to do this project in a few weeks on my 67 rs. Are you doing this with the car fully assembled? Let me know how you make out with this (or even how you plan on doing this)

Tom

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Hi Tomg,

No I am Lcky (or unlucky) enough to have the car completely stripped so we are talking just the front rails and the body. Pretty easy.

How confident are you about that order pdq67????

Mark
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronic72
Hi Tomg,

No I am Lcky (or unlucky) enough to have the car completely stripped so we are talking just the front rails and the body. Pretty easy.

How confident are you about that order pdq67????

Mark
I just did mine two weeks ago, and that is how I did mine. I think he nailed it. I'm leaving mine, regardless.

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 08:37 PM
Senior Tech
Dan

Here's what I had saved on my computer...It's several archive threads combined.....Dan

Bushing Sizes

"The rear cushion set is the smallest; the outside diameter of both cushions measure about 2-1/8 in. The center cushion set is a little different. The upper cushion (with the washer and bushing) has an outside diameter of 2-1/2 in. And the outside portion of this cushion can be identified by its height of 7/8 in. This height is measured without the washer. For all practical purposes, the cushions that don't have a washer for the rear and center cushion sets are interchangeable with one another. If you're not sure which ones they are, trial fit them onto the step on washered cushions. They should fit easily but snugly. The cushion that's used for the radiator core support also has an outside diameter of 2-1/2 in., just like the center cushion. However, it can be differentiated from the center cushion by its height; it's only 9/16 in. tall excluding the washer. And because of its unique smaller bushing diameter, only one of the washerless cushions will fit it."

Body Bushing Installation for Fully Assembled First Generation Camaro

To begin this procedure, I would suggest pulling the front end of the car up onto ramps. After the car is up, you will have some extra room to work under there.

First, you must remove the old bushings. Do this one side at a time! That is, do the passenger's side first, then the drivers, or vice versa. If you unbolt all of the sub-frame to body bolts at the same time, you may change the positioning of the front sub-frame, causing major problems.

So, with that said, soak the old bolts liberally with penetrant and let it sit overnight. Then, take an air gun (if you have one, if not use a heavy duty socket wrench) and unbolt, progressing from the rear forward. Once the rearmost bolt is out, proceed to the next one forward. Then, unbolt the final bolt at the radiator support.

With the bolts removed, you can then use a jack to raise the body just a little bit to allow you to remove the old bushings.

Once removed, use a wire brush to scrape off the loose rust and rubber remnants and begin to install your new bushings from front, progressing to the rear.

After the bushings are in place, lower the jack so that the frame and body are together tight around the bushings. You may want to place the jack under the frame rail to be sure that the two are tight together so that your bolts can fully tighten. Then, tighten the bolts from front to rear.

Repeat this process for the other side and then re-tighten all of your bolts.

Torque Specifications:
Radiator Support: 30-50 Ft Lbs
Subframe to Body: 75-95 Ft Lbs
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks for all your input guys.

We put it together yesterday using pdq67's suggestion which seems to be the correct method.

Thanks again, Mark J
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Thanks guys. The kit is installed and the body now has a subframe connected to it after nearly 20 years!

MJ
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 06, 04:24 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Subframe Body Mounting Kit Question

Fwiw, I did mine in like 3-hours AFTER I soaked all the S/F bolts down over three or four days with PBBlaster!!

Did one side completely loose at a time using a long crowbar for a little floor pan persuation.

Not a hard job at all IF the nut-cages don't break!! If they do, you are in for a time!!

pdq67

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 10:17 PM
bjj

pdq67,

Did you notice a difference in handling after installing the new body bushings? I noticed my steering was way more responsive.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 06, 07:50 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

Make sure you either use new metal sleeves or reuse the sleeves from your old bushings.

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode