I need advise on braking & suspention - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy I need advise on braking & suspention

I own a 1967 camaro with a big block which is almost done at the body shop and the last thing to do is the suspention and brakes. While the car has been at the shop I ordered a wilwood front brake system parts # will-140-2285bd and part # wil-140-2285 which consist of cross drilled rotors , powder coated calipers , ect. When I recieved the item from summit I was very disapointed in the systems quality so I sent it back. Now I would like to ask you guys to help me get the right parts I need for my application. I would like to upgrade the braking system to either a Baer system or a SSBC system ( bigger cross drilled rotors and calipers) which would include a rear drum converstion to disc (car has has a 12 bolt with c clip eliminator). I also need to change the upper and lower control arms and shocks front and rear. The car has new stock bb coils and new multi leaf rear springs and two inch drop spindels. Please help me get the best product availible for my application so I dont have to end up with more returns ,also keep in mind that I want to go with a Torque Thrust type of wheel 18 inch rims if possible and a lowered look is very important to me. Hope to get some grate feed back !! Thanks

Last edited by joer4934; Jan 24th, 06 at 04:12 PM. Reason: icon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 05:02 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I need advise on braking & suspention

i am happy with my Baer brakes, and hotchkis springs ans sway bars, and hotchkis (bilstien) shocks
there are tons of companies with tubular arms, global west and many others

do not get drop spindles check this out- www.pozziracing.com
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 05:07 PM
Senior Tech
Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird
i am happy with my Baer brakes, and hotchkis springs ans sway bars, and hotchkis (bilstien) shocks
there are tons of companies with tubular arms, global west and many others

do not get drop spindles check this out- www.pozziracing.com
I have the same setup and I am very happy with. If you can afford it install a hydraboost.

I also second that you NOT install drop spindles.

Good luck and can't wait to see some PICS!

Rod
69 Camaro with LS2/4l70e

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 05:09 PM
Senior Tech

oh and a 3rd gen steering box
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Question Re: I need advise on braking & suspention

As far as steering box I have already purchased a flaming river power box. If I am putting in the Baer system and eleminating the drop spindles what spindles do you recomened ? What is hydro boost ?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 11:49 AM
Senior Tech

you should use stock spindles (your brake kit is made for either drum or disk spindles so you will need to check that)

a hydro booster would replace your vacuum opperated brake booster with one that uses your powersteering system
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 12:15 PM
Senior Tech

I don't want to hi-jack the thread but I have a ? about the hyro-boost also. if it runs of the power steering and you throw a belt do you loose your brakes?

Jake <--- has "spot weld cutters" elbow.
'67 rs/ss 396 coupe(on the mend)

It's funny how 1 car can completely fill a 2 car garage.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 01:43 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 L-35
I don't want to hi-jack the thread but I have a ? about the hyro-boost also. if it runs of the power steering and you throw a belt do you loose your brakes?
No. The units that are available in the aftermarket all have a reserve canister. It's basically a gas-filled cylinder that that works for 2-3 brake pumps. It holds for over three weeks in my car. You can see the gold reserve cylinder in the hydraboost brake section of my website.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 06, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Lee

I went with Global West Upper and Lower control arms, fit great although one of the LCA's needed persuading to install. I think this was more a problem with the frame than the LCA. I also went with Touring Classics brake kit. They use a C5 Corvette kit with PBR calipers. I am very happy with it so far. The front brakes installed very easily. I still need to do the rear brakes and actually get it on the road though. The only problem with going big is, you are stuck with 17" wheels. No big deal if you are going that what way.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 06, 07:34 AM
Tech Team

I have purchased the Touring Classics C5 Brake Set up as well. I have received my hydroboost unit which looks great and I am waiting on the front and rear Discs. I'll let you know how the install goes. Can't wait should be here this week.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 06, 07:37 AM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Project
I went with Global West Upper and Lower control arms, fit great although one of the LCA's needed persuading to install. I think this was more a problem with the frame than the LCA. I also went with Touring Classics brake kit. They use a C5 Corvette kit with PBR calipers. I am very happy with it so far. The front brakes installed very easily. I still need to do the rear brakes and actually get it on the road though. The only problem with going big is, you are stuck with 17" wheels. No big deal if you are going that what way.

69Project Did you get the hydroboost too? If you did can you tell me what you did for the hard brakelines to the Master cylinder. Did you use just a normal Power Brake Booster set of hardlines?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode