Leaf spring pads and pinion angle - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 06, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Eric

Question Leaf spring pads and pinion angle

I am planning to adjust my pinion angle soon (it's pointing way too far down) so I have been reading all the old posts I can find for information. I have noticed that lots of people say they are only using one or none of the leaf spring pads. Why? Is there a benifit to taking them out? Doesn't that give you metal on metal rubbing when the spring works? I have five leaf springs with poly pads and I assume that I will have to take the top pad out and replace it with a wedge to correct my pinion angle. Is that correct? Do I need to put any kind of pad back in with the wedge. or maybe a piece of UHMH plastic? I am not setting this car up for drag racing, so I will probably stay away from having very much extra pinion down angle. Do I need a pad to keep it from squeaking? Any opinions?

ERIC
67 Convertible, 350CID, TKO600RR, 3.73 Eaton Posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 07:12 AM
Senior Tech
Ron

Re: Leaf spring pads and pinion angle

I would keep all the pads in leaf spring. I don't see any benifit to removing them. I've seen wedges made to install between leafs and axel pad to adjust pinion angle.You want to have the same angle at the transmission as you do at rear end.If trans is 2 degrees down rear should be 2 degees up.I would'nt put any wedge between the leafs.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

I just did this with a 4deg wedge and I left the pads in. The wedge was not thick enough to make much of a difference.

Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 12:56 PM
Senior Tech

Try to keep the pinion angle between 3 and 5 degrees negative tothedriveshaft centerline.

There is a fine line between hobby and obsession!

69 SS, 350, 4 Speed
69 350/350 4 Speed Corvette Convertible

Click on my Cardomain user name to view both cars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 06, 01:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

My pinion was 4 degs down from the trans as measured at the output shaft and it had high speed vibration. I set the pinion to be on the same angle as the trans and now she's smooth as can be.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18

Last edited by rojo; Jan 25th, 06 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode