Koni shocks...any advice on how to set-up? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Dr. Feelgood

Koni shocks...any advice on how to set-up?

Just got mine today,instructions are unclear as to how to set them up...since they're adjustable...any advice?

'67 Buick Skylark F/C "Ingenue" 8/10 HRM feature / 2/12 Gasoline (Swedish) feature
World's only Buick-powered Buick Funny Car!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

Re: Koni shocks...any advice on how to set-up?

hey john, ive had them on my car for about four years now. ill try and find the info sheet and get back to you , but if i rember correctly you fully extend the shock and turn(twist) it counter clockwise to stiffen it up .opposite for..well youknow. or your instructions will tell you how many turns ..i think is the max ,,ill go and look for my sheet....doug
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 05:35 PM
Tech Team

i found it.it took me a while to decode it,fully compress and twist clockwise to stiffen ,opposite to loosen(RIGHTY TIGHTY,,LEFTY LOOSEY) good luck!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 05:59 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

Yes, but where do you start? Do you install the shocks, drive some, and then determine which direction to adjust the shocks?
I have Koni's for my car, and have been considering these same questions. Can anyone speak from experience of a good starting point?

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 06:10 PM
Tech Team

i knew i wanted a stiff ride to begin with , i went 1 turn in front 2 turns in rear... havent reset it since i built the car ,,,i was just trying to help...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 06:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Andrew

So you have been satisfied with the 2 in the rear and 1 in the front? Perhaps I will do the same.
Thanks for your input.

Skunk Works
302DZ, M22W Muncie, GV overdrive,12-Bolt Rear 3.73
Some photos:

Member # 159
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 30th, 06, 07:30 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Here's what I found John... I had the Koni's set to the mid setting with the stock springs (urethane bushings on the leafs, rubber up front). Handled good, rode ok and didn't feel like it was going to slip cornering on a bumpy surface from being too stiff. Added Hotchkis drop springs front and rear and left the shocks on the mid setting. It was too stiff and felt loose on bumpy surfaces around corners. The Budnik wheels softened it up some but it still just didn't feel like the car wanted to stick cornering on roads that were not very smooth. I set the shocks to the light dampening and am really happy. The car sticks on bumpy corners now and the ride is very nice too.

I have no doubt that on a smooth track surface I would run at least the mid setting, just not on the street. You'll be faster in the corners if your suspension can keep up with the road and keep the tires planted.

There are only 3 positions so it sounds like doug is in the middle up front and full dampening in the back...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode