Who out there is driving a front QA1 coilover setup? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Who out there is driving a front QA1 coilover setup?

I guess after all the threads I have read on the matter I am still on the fence. Help me put to rest the concerns I hear from others by providing some real world feedback.

How do they ride with the progressive spring rate (250/350?) I hear they are too soft for cornering but rise well for launching. Could a stiffer ant-swaybar help this if true?

What about using big block springs on a small block to stiffen it up a little(cut them down?)

What do you think of the shocks? Are you running the drag version (90/10?) or the street version (?/?)?

From what I hear, it would be "best practice" to reinforce the lower control arm at the mount - seems logical to me. Did you do this?

I'm pretty hard on my Camaro... hard launches, fast on rough roads, like to corner... what about you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 08:55 AM
Tech Team

Re: Who out there is driving a front QA1 coilover setup?

SoCal - Had the Qa1 kit 0n my 69 for about a year. Handled real nice around town with the small block springs, and shocks set stiff.

However, at the track, even with shocks set at loosest, the springs were too stiff, and with little front end rise, spun rear tires like mad.

Removed them, installed lightest trick springs, and kept the shocks.

Had to turn off the threads on the shock body, put a 1" extension on shock rod for travel.

Car still drives fine with shocks set firm(still no corner carver).

With shocks set loose, front end flies up on hard acceleration.

Hope this helps...................DC
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

Thanks don, thats just the kind of information I was after. I am currently running a stock style springs on my small block which is about 50lbs over stock (375). I've been researching the big block (350/450) progressive springs so as to get a decent firmness for cornering. I hoped the progressive nature of the spring would have risen better but it sounds like that wouldn't have been the case.

It's times like this when I truly respect the work that went into the 99 Dodge Viper GTS. Not only would the hood rise up so far as to block your view on acelleration, but it did it with independent suspension in nearly every gear, each gear was spent in about the same amount of time and it still cornered really hard to boot. Nice balance!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 10:07 AM
Senior Tech

I too have been considering converting over to this type of setup....
I'm wondering if buying a different set of coilovers wouldn't help the situation that everyone is describing with the as shipped set. Coilover springs typically are not that expensive and there is a broad range of spring rates and heights. Coming up with a combo that is suitable for your driving style shouldn't be that much of a challenge?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Tom

1967 Prostreet Camaro BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed...

1969 Convertable RS Clone 385 TH 400 w/2800 stall 3:73 gears

1966 Pontiac LeMans... Soon to be a GTO clone.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 06, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech

Guys,
Not to put anyones wishes down but would you tell me what is realy difrence between stock coil and schock in the middle or coil over besides wow factor and adjustability. My personel opinion, I dont see any gain. Also I realy admire and value of the opnions of David's. And as far as I remember he is thinking same way if my memory serves me right.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mike

I don't know about anyone else but two aspects of the coil-over are appealing to me; ride height and dampening adjustments. While the landrum spring adjuster allow for ride height adjustability, it takes an hour to do so with a good chuck of effort (especially in 90 degree weather). The same goes for adjustable shocks where the landrum style springs conceal the adjustment knobs or you have to remove the bottom of the shock, extend it and make your adjustments. It is really a convenience factor.

What I consider a setback on these coil-over setups are the shock replacements which now become costly or have to be sent in to get rebuilt (do they cross ship?). Also, it doesnt seem like the QA1s are best of breed in the lines of dampening performance so the combination may be limiting unto itself.

I am already leaning toward the landrum setup as my short term solution and trying to get a decent static setting with a decent shock until there is more real world feedback across a broader range of driving with the coil-overs on a first gen.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 06, 07:32 PM
Senior Tech

SoCalFirstGen,

I think that what my intended purpose for these are just what you are getting at! Adjustability! I'm not that concerned about setting it up to launch really hard at the track since I'm pretty sure I'm only gonna get one shot down before that throw me out! I expect the car to run low 13's and that's gonna upset the track tech's with a convertable. What I really am looking for is a nice ride with some improved handling over the stock suspension and the ability to lower the ride heights without stiffening the suspension to do so.

Thanks for allowing to piggy back on your post

Cheers,
Tom

1967 Prostreet Camaro BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed...

1969 Convertable RS Clone 385 TH 400 w/2800 stall 3:73 gears

1966 Pontiac LeMans... Soon to be a GTO clone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode