manual steering box on my 69 z whats up? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
john

manual steering box on my 69 z whats up?

my man. box was leaking, took it to a shop, needs rebuilding, 61/2 turns off car, seems excessive, unsure if it is original? are they date coded? my books dont have any info? all the same? i have heard 3 1/2 turns etc etc, are they different for the f41 suspension or just the pitman arm length? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 1st, 06, 10:51 PM
David Pozzi

Re: manual steering box on my 69 z whats up?

I had a buddy with a 69 Z/28 that had close to 7 turns lock to lock.
There are two manual box ratios, a slow and a fast. There are two lengths of pitman arms, long and short, and three lengths of outer steering arms.
I have some PS ratio and arm info on my web page. I haven't tackled manual ratios because researching PS ratios scrambled my brains!
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

My 69z's suspension was original and needed to be rebuilt. 6.5 lock to lock out of the car is correct fo rthe standard z steering. It is about 3.5 in the car due to the linkage. The only difference is the pitman arm like David Pozzi said. His website is awesome if you have a chance to view it. They tend to leak out the bottom on the worm gear adjuster. You can buy a fast ratio or stock from discount steering. I've rebuilt mine twice so far and it stops leaking for a couple years. Headers make the problem worse since the box gets a lot hotter than usual. Good Luck.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 08:43 PM
David Pozzi

When you think about it, a PS box is cooled by the fluid running through it.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 04:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

The cooling is hindered by headers that do not fit , for what ever reason.

If you are trying to find the date code,, there is a little machined tab near the top cover that will have a 5 digit number stamped.. Do a search on this site and it will decode that number. My manual box was something like B 2908 which coded out like the 290th day of year 1968. The casting number was generic. As you mentioned, 6 turns out of car but 3 turns hooked up. It was out of my factory Z.

Don
TC # 349
Zdld17:69 Z/RS,306, NOR141111, 9N554XXX, 12A, X3G, 59/59,723, AFR 195,CCC282/290HR, TKO 600, BU1122B1E Owner since Dec 1968

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 08:37 AM
Rob

manual boxes are just packed with wheel bearing grease, very minimal sealing, but headers running close to box(as they all do) heat some grease up to oil consitincy and the seals were never designed to seal to oil. i have actually seen boxes that prople have added gear oil to and it will leak like hell, a good hi-temp grease will work the best but after long driving and headers, leaks hard to stop on thr units, Rob...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode