To mini tub or not to mini tub. That is the question. - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

To mini tub or not to mini tub. That is the question.

Is it worth it? Do the 275 tires look beefy enough in the back to leave the rear tubs intact? Is running an aftermarket fuel tank a necessity with the mini tubs or is that dependant on how wide the tires get? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 04:54 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Re: To mini tub or not to mini tub. That is the question.

To get any benefit from Mini tubbing the leaf springs, must be moved in offset) and the shocks mounted inboard of the leaf springs. So if you do all this, then yes you must run a narrowed gas tank. I am using the DSE mini tubbing kit (not installed yest - but I have it) and will probably use their gas tank, or one from ROck Valley. The 275 tires look okay, but IMO nothigg beats real meats out back. DSE claims you can run 335, but I am probably only going with 315.

Steve
69 Camaro
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 09:31 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

I just read an article in Camaro Performer about the DSE Tub install. It says the shocks have to be installed inboard and the kit provides a piece for this but no mention of moving the springs and a tank. In the Camaro, the stock shock location takes up about three inches. The DSE tubs use this space, so I don't believe the springs or tank need any modification.

Daddy's Hot Rod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

I had a mintub done, yes you will need to get a new tank, or rework your existing, to fit in between the relocated leaf springs. I am running a 315 tire also. With the DSE kit you need to relocate the leafs, they provide offset shackles. They also provide a new shock mounting u shaped piece to weld between the new tubs. I elected to stagger my shocks, one front and one in rear of the axle, which you can do with their shock mounts.

http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_7l7+c...GXwy6qjTTuzHo=

Mike
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 09:51 AM
Tech Team

Do you loose your back seet with this?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 09:53 AM
Senior Tech

I havent gotten that far, but have been told, you just need to trim the bottom frame, near the wheel tub, to fit around the new tub. Supposedly you cant tell from the top. Again, just what I have heard as I am not that far.

Mike
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by fladoans
To get any benefit from Mini tubbing the leaf springs, must be moved in offset) and the shocks mounted inboard of the leaf springs. So if you do all this, then yes you must run a narrowed gas tank. I am using the DSE mini tubbing kit (not installed yest - but I have it) and will probably use their gas tank, or one from ROck Valley. The 275 tires look okay, but IMO nothigg beats real meats out back. DSE claims you can run 335, but I am probably only going with 315.
I agree with you, however, spending an extra $2600 or so to get all the components and pay for fabrication is a huge expense. I'm tortured over this decision.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 01:13 PM
Tech Team
Mike

I find this kind of curious. On my first 68 Camaro, I ran 305/60/15's on 15x10 rims without any modification. However, with the monoleafs would rub the outer fender-lip when I cornered with people in the back seat. Because I frequently had back seat passengers, I kept the back end a little high to compensate. I never had the chance to lower it on multi-leafs so I'll assume it would have been problematic.

Talk about raked, back high and front sagging.
(Linked)

On my current 68 Camaro, I run 295/60/15's on 15x7 rims without any body modifications on multileafs with a little over 1/2" to spare on the inside and outer fenders. I think I still sit just a little high but I never rub.

(Linked)

I just crawled under the car to do some measurements. With offset rear shackles, a mini-tub that does not notch the frame and relocating the shocks inbound - you could gain 3" of additional room and keep the stock tank... more than enough room to lower the car on a 315 with the right backspacing, maybe larger with a stiff suspension. I think the key here is in the sidewall. A 315/30 series might not fit.

: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...

Last edited by SoCalFirstGen; Feb 2nd, 06 at 03:56 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 02:13 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

285/60/15 SH's on 15x8's with 4.5 bs. Slight rub on hard corners and off camber. 275's are only 1/2" narrower, and shouldn't rub.

click to inlarge

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 02:27 PM
Tech Team

Q2quest, I believe if you are going for the PT look, the mini tub is worth it. I have a 69 PT Camaro with 295 18" tires on the rear and IMO is it just has a barely acceptable "meaty" look to it but I still get alot of compliments on the rear tires. Imagine what a mini tub would to to the look.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by 4MuscleMachines; Feb 2nd, 06 at 02:57 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:20 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

You can run the tall 60 series tires pictured without a mini-tub, but only if you keep the rear of the car up. If you want a wider than 275/40 wheel in the rear with the fender at or over the top of the tire you'll need a minitub.

The DSE kit does require narrowing the gas tank as it offsets the rear of the leaf springs in a couple inches. The springs remain unchanged themselves. There is a slight notching of the frame rail with their kit and will allow 335/35's with leafs and 345's with a 4 link rear.

Jody

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:43 PM
Senior Tech

I got to see this car a couple of months ago in person when I went over to DSE and meet Frank and the crew there, The owner of this car is over on lateral-g.net alot. This is one sick ride, But it has the DSE mini-tub kit and is using the leaf srings with the offset shackles.
You should see this car in person, Looks 10 better in life. It reaks of testosterone...

Have you hugged your kids today?? Tell them you love them also..
Heaven got a little sweeter. We miss you Mandy..
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

SW's car, very nice!

Jody

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 10:12 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Just proves you can't believe everything you read. I guess they forgot to mention that.

Daddy's Hot Rod.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode