Should I Do The "guldstrand" Mod? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Should I Do The "guldstrand" Mod?

OK, This is a 67 RS with a stock 89 350 TPI and a 700R4. It will be driven as a daily driver by my wife. (I WILL drive it on week ends) This will become my daily driver in two years. Every thing is new. Now for the front suspension. The frame is out and sand blasted. It will receive these parts.

1) Hotchkis 600lbs 2" lowering springs
2) Stock upper and lower "A" arms
3) 1" front sway bar
4) Power brakes
5) KYB Gas shocks
6) 235/45R17 Tires on 17x8x4.75BS Rims
7) 89 GTA Power steering box
8) Medium length outer steering arms

Rear of car has:

1) Mono leaf springs
2) 3/4" sway bar
3) KYB Gas Shocks
4) Subframe connector
5) 255/45R17 Tires on 17x9.5x5.5BS Rims

Would/Should the "GULDSTRAND" MOD be done to this. We currently drive a 96 Grand Prix. I really like how it handles. I'm trying to achieve the best ride and control ratio. Any Suggestions. I have read Dave's site.

One last thing what would you say to a 1" lowering block in the rear? I'm waiting for everyone to fire back on that question. I think I know the answer.
The reason I asked is this. If I install the lowering springs they will be multi leaf for one, second, I probably won't need the rear sway bar and third, more work.

Thanks for the info-

-Luke-

Fully updated 67rs. Power seats,AC,remote start,TPI,700R4,power windows,power locks,power steering,ect..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Should I Do The "guldstrand" Mod?

I have my subframe out and just had it powdercoated. I recently did the mod and it was not a big deal. From everything I have read there is really no reason not to do it. There is no drawback and handling is greatly improved. You have an opportunity to gain easy access now that your subframe is removed.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 01:19 PM
Tech Team
Mike

For such a simple modification (if you drill it anyway, I cut and re-welded mine) it is a world of improvement. Of all the changes I have made, the guldstrand mod was second only to the manual to 3rd gen power steering swap. Both felt substantially better on the first drive.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks- Would doing this move the front tires in a way that would make the 235/45R17 not fit or rub? What sizes are you running?

-Luke-

Fully updated 67rs. Power seats,AC,remote start,TPI,700R4,power windows,power locks,power steering,ect..
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 03:17 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

the one inch drop blocks will not hurt you and the do look good..i had the summit ones on my car for a year until i had the money to get the hotchkis leafs...i would not go any more than 1.5 though b/c then the springs will be out to far past the perches...29 bucks for a good looking drop is hard to beat...the only thing you will have to do after you install the blocks is trim the u bolts they are way way to long and almost hit the ground

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 04:53 PM
Tech Team
Mike

Luke
The guldstrand mod will bring the front wheels back a little, about 5/16". Check your clearances before hand with the wheels turned, especially on the passenger side and make sure you have the room. Also check that your subframe centered and not pulled back. Mine was pulled back and caused tire rub, I pulled it forward and gained enough to clear the HEI and stop tire rub.

- Mike

: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 06, 05:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

I'll vote for the g/s mod. I did mine as an only change, and the difference was unbelievable! Biggest change is steady state cornering, no more cranking in more and more steering, just toss it into the corner and steer with the throttle once she sets.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode