Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

Sub Frame Bent??

Hello all

I'm just asking a question for an opinion from all you 1st gen Camaro builders

I recently posted a question about my 67 leaning about 1/2 down on the passenger side.

I just replaced all of the bushing (poly) and installed a Hotchkis TVS. The front of the vehicle did not even have a sway bar.

My car still leans and I believe that the sub frame may be bent.

When I went to replace the bushing I noticed that on the drivers side I needed to jack the body away from the frame to install all of the bushing, but when I went to replace the passenger side (after the bolts were removed) the rear bushing location was about 3-4 inches away from the body without me jacking the passenger side up. I still needed to lift the body to replace the front bushing. After putting in the new bushing I needed to jack up the rear location so I could put the new bolt in.

I have not measured frame the ground to the frame yet.

I was just wondering if it seems that the cause of my lean is a bent subframe?

Who knows what my Camaro had been through in the prior 37 year, but I believe that the front passenger tire has flown off at one time since there is damage to the front passenger fender, and the dust shield is ground down like its been traveling on the road. Also this damage has not been fixed yet and the front end is a little out of whack.

I can probably live with the lean, since when I sit in the vehicle it most likely levels out. It will never be a show car just a weekend driver, and it seems to drive straight.

In a few years I plan on tearing it all down and fixing everything so Iím sure if itís a bent sub frame it can wait until then.

If it is a bent sub frame is there a way to correct it by bending it back or is it better to replace the whole sub frame.

Thanks all, heres a pic of the damage

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/43448...wiB5DB5A5pyIQq

http://us.a1.yahoofs.com/users/43448...wiB5DBiLPBrAMc

Last edited by 67-CAM-RIDER; Feb 3rd, 06 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 3rd, 06, 07:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Sub Frame Bent??

pic links don't work.

What you descibed on the bushings sounds pretty normal. There's just nuttin connected to it on the pass side, so it drops when you loosen the bolts. On the drivers side, the steering column and brake lines will hold it up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 12:02 AM
Senior Tech

When you jacked up your car, were you on level ground? Even a slight slope of the ground might make the sub frame seem uneven. After replacing all the bushings and if the car still leans, it might be possible you have a bent wheel spindle.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 06, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
jason

thanks, that makes sense

the pics work when i click on them, i guess since they are my pics.

ill work on it.

try this

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stanis....net/my_photos

Last edited by 67-CAM-RIDER; Feb 4th, 06 at 09:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode