QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy... - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy...

As you all have read over the past several weeks I'm trying to get my front suspension where I want it--great handling, great ride with 27" floor to fender lip (with 235/60/15 tires) ride height.

After much reading and discussion on TC and Pro Touring I had decided on a QA1 coilover system (GMP-14) with Energy Suspension poly bushings and an Addco 1" solid sway bar. This seemed to be the best bang for the buck and something that would still be good as I continued to upgrade my suspension as funds became available.

Right before pulling the trigger on the $399 QA1 GMP-14 buy from Arundel Chassis, I called QA1 to determine whether I should go with the big block spring (GMP-13) to get a stiffer spring rate instead of using the 250/250 lbs/in small block spring. His answers were surprising.

The conversation went like this:

Would the SB (GMP-14) QA1 coilover set-up be too soft for my 68 SB Camaro if I want better-than-stock handling and cornering?
Answer: Yes it will be too soft for what you want--you will not be satisfied with the ride and handling.

Then should I put the BB springs on my SB car in order to get a stiffer ride and better handling?
Answer: No. Your car will look like a 4x4 truck with the BB (GMP-13) springs. You cannot adjust the springs enough to get a normal ride height. It will sit way too tall.

What does QA1 offer that will give me at least a stock ride height with at least a 380 lbs/in spring (69 Z/28 or Moog 6308 rate) and *good* handling?
Answer: Use our standard shock with a QA1 450 lbs/in spring. "I have had no complaints on that set-up for 1st Gen Camaros and people seem to be happy with that."

So, just as I was about to buy the QA1 set-up, a company tech tells me that I can't expect better-than-stock handling from it. Why then would I use this system vice some Eibach or Moog springs and poly bushings?...the price difference is significant.

Does this guy sound totally off base? He is a factory tech...I would think he knows what he's talking about...did I miss something or ask the wrong questions?

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 07:45 AM
Tech Team
Mike

Re: QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy...

Brentmc,
Supprisingly, this is the same conclusion I was brought to after posting/reading much the same questions/responses on all the various boards. I too had questioned QA1 on the use of stiffer springs for the Camaro and was informed of the short comings. Thank you for posting your findings as well.

- Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: (0-60 in 5s, 1/4 in 13.22s) 350ci, th-350, open 2.73 8.2", 295/60 rears, QA1 12 way rear & front w/coil adjusters. In Garage: 415ci roller stroker, Tremec TKO-600, 1350 D-shaft and ...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 06, 09:34 PM
David Pozzi

Re: QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy...

My buddy wanted a set for his 69 Camaro, last week he called Global West and they recomended a 450 rate non progressive spring for the coilover shocks. He wants to use his stock multi-leaf springs and has the Addco front bar.

Better than stock handling isn't going to happen with just coilovers, but they are part of a whole system you are installing and it should all together help the handling a lot.
If you have loads of horsepower and wide rims and tires of a ultra high perf type, then stiffer front (600+) and rear springs (175) would be needed to get the max benefit, (along with anti-roll bars). The stiffer springs would resist the extra load the wide and sticky tires would generate and the car could be lowered a little more without bottoming out. If your tires can't generate the high loads, then stiff springs like above aren't needed to keep suspension travel within limits.

With your ride height and tire sizes the 450 coils should work well.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 09:44 PM
bob

Smile Re: QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy..

somewhere there was a comunication loss when talking to the tech.
I just purchased the qa1 gmp 1450 for my 69 camaro and using tubular upper & lower arms with a 396 with aluminum heads and no air. the ride hight is the adjustment from the spring locking rings and the stiffness is from the shock adjustment, 12 steps for the single and 24 for the double adjustable shocks. depending on the shock adjustment will determine the stiffness for handling and ride performance. remember sometimes the tech on the phone might not had coffee yet! and you will need this tool to adjust and lock your springs.
From Jegs, Spanner Wrench QA1 #122-T114W and don't forget the anti seize lube! and read the instructions carefully, if you make a mistake they won't replace the shock!

Last edited by 1969ssx66; Sep 11th, 09 at 10:02 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 11th, 09, 10:54 PM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: QA1 Tech Rep on Coilover system--says it's not what I should buy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969ssx66 View Post
somewhere there was a comunication loss when talking to the tech.
I just purchased the qa1 gmp 1450 for my 69 camaro and using tubular upper & lower arms with a 396 with aluminum heads and no air. the ride hight is the adjustment from the spring locking rings and the stiffness is from the shock adjustment, 12 steps for the single and 24 for the double adjustable shocks. depending on the shock adjustment will determine the stiffness for handling and ride performance. remember sometimes the tech on the phone might not had coffee yet! and you will need this tool to adjust and lock your springs.
From Jegs, Spanner Wrench QA1 #122-T114W and don't forget the anti seize lube! and read the instructions carefully, if you make a mistake they won't replace the shock!
I just went with a similar setup & am happy so far. You might want to add the thrust bearing kit to make adjustments easier. I couldn't figure out what springs would give me stock ride height with my setup, I like the ability to make that adjustment.

1968 Camaro - Original SS 396 4-speed, now a 427/550HP

1972 De Tomaso Pantera Pre L - 351 Cleveland 5-speed, 22,000 Miles
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Brent

I'm glad to hear it worked for you two.

After posting the intial thread I went with Hotchkis-valved Bilstein shocks, Addco swaybar, solid body mounts, Moog 6308 springs and subframe connectors. It got me exactly what I wanted.

1968 RS/SS Lemans Blue
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 09, 10:35 AM
Senior Tech
Frank

We have owned, installed and sold a lot of QA1 coil over set ups over the years. We have a really good relationship with them, and even had our Project Prodigy in their booth at SEMA in 2005. I preface this because as much as I love my friends at QA1, the coil over set up are not what I recommend for all out handling, and for cars that need to be lowered more then 1 1/2". We really like a full coil like Hotchkis and then if you want a 12 way adjustable shock, add a QA1 shock which we really like. There is more spring, more stored energy, and no load on the shock with a independent full size coil and separate shock.

Project Prodigy, SEMA 2005
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 10, 10:31 AM

Ok, so i have a 69 Camaro that I am having being modified into a PT car. Mechanic is having troubles installing the QA1 shock on my 69 camaro. He's having problem with fitting the top of spring into the stock frame. it should fit nice an snug into the groove where the top of spring is suppose to sit. Instead, the top of spring cannot fit into the groove because the top of spring is too large in diameter. When installing these shocks/springs should the frame be cut and modified so the springs fit? or is there a smaller diameter QA1 spring that fits nice and snug?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 10, 06:03 PM
David Pozzi

Second gen Camaros have larger spring diameters than first gens. Perhaps you have the second gen coils?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode