Sub frame connectors - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Sub frame connectors

Please move this topic to the appropriate forum if necessary.
I am considering installing sub frame connectors on my '69 Camaro. What will the effects be? I have heard everything from firm to harsh to bone-jarring ride will result. I'm not crazy about weld in connectors, but are bolt in's as effective?

Another consideration, as a half way measure is to install the convertible model floor pan reinforcement. Is this thought worth persuing? I'm trying to eliminate some of the body flex. This is a street car that gets launched from time to time.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 12:09 PM
Senior Tech
Bryan Hall

Re: Sub frame connectors

i have the competition egineering bolt ons on my 69.. i love them. they were really easy to install and i have felt no kind of harsh ride out of them. my car is a daily driver so it sees everything. of course the weld ons will be stronger but the bolt ons serve a purpose too. my car seems to hook better and just feels more stable when i get on it hard. for only 100 bucks you cant beat them. i know they are some better looking ones out there like dse and global west but they are pricey and may need the floor pan to be modyfied to fit them but that is a personal choice..hope this helps

My car pics...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

dallas car show pics plus some of the cars i am building at work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 02:11 PM
Team Member
Tony

Cool Re: Sub frame connectors

I bought the Competition Engineering bolt on for my '68 convertible. These required cutting my floor pan, which I welded in place. I also cut the spring cups off, using the original leaf spring holder. I welded the connector end, directly on to the new rear frame rails. In the front, I bolted them to my sub-frame, so I can still disassemble the tub.
They look great, but have no idea how they handle, yet.. (my engine is still on the stand)..

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 04:03 PM
Tech Team

We put Comp Eng frame connectors on my 69 rag top . We had to notch them(piece of cake) and they bolted right on. At the same time I swaped out the body bolts and installed poly ones from energy suspension, the ride is 100% better. The door frames dont sag when we put the car on a hoist, I have no complaints about the ride. Nice and tight, no rattles.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 06:43 PM
Tech Team
Bob

I put a set of Comp Eng bolt in's on my 69 coupe. Absolutley no problems whatsoever. The car feels 100 times tighter, smoother and stronger. I have a 502, glide w/brake. I do recommend that after bolting in, running a few miles, pulling a couple of hard launches you retighten the bolts and have them spot welded on the subframe and along the top of the rear spring perch on the frame rail. The connectors aren't hanging down and actually are tucked up pretty close to the floor pan. They look fine and serve the purpose well for the price. You can do it yourself with very little knowledge, not hard at all.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 06:49 PM
Senior Tech

I have been looking into this too and found these on Ebay...item number 4612043331...I have emailed a few people that have bought them and they said they are great. I was thinking about welding the back and bolting the fronts so that in case I ever needed to remove the subframe it would be a lot easier...
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

The seller says they are bolt in, but I don't see how you could bolt them in the way they are built. With those mounting surfaces, I'd say that you would get minimal effectiveness from them. I may mock up a set similar to that and have a guy I know make them for me. I'll weld them though.

Should they be installed with the car on flat ground, or on stands? If you place the jacks under the subframe, (as he has it in the picture, just in front of the rear body mount) is it possible to experience some frame flex as it rests on the stands? After all, the weight of the whole front end is hanging off the ground as those stands are basically about right in the middle of the car. Am I crazy?

Craig

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now you will see that evil will triumph, because good is dumb.
-Dark Helmet

1967 Camaro
1965 Mustang
2007 Mustang
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 06, 08:00 PM
Senior Tech

That is a good question...I would assume you would install them with the weight on the ground or supported so that there is no flex...maybe weight on the ground, tac them good enough and then raise it to finish welding them...maybe someone else that has installed them will know.

As far as bolting them, you would have to drill the holes, which I would assume you would need to do with any other bolt on setup. Unless there are holes that the other connectors bolt to on the subframe...then again, drill the holes with the weight on or the car raised up???
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 05:12 AM
Guess

I left my Comp. Eng. bolt-ins loose at the subframe connections until the car was on the ground, then torqued the body to the frame. Actually, I waited until the engine was sitting on the frame first, then tightened everything up, wheels on the ground.
Very easy install.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 06, 11:19 AM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Sub frame connectors

I got my bolt-on S/F/C's from Jegs.. The cheaper "Jegs" ones..

Good ones, imho..

AND now is a very good time to install either poly or aluminum S/F bushings too...

pdq67

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
John

Competition Engineering bolt on here too. 67, was fairly easy and can't complain about the ride.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 06, 06:16 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Question Re: Sub frame connectors

I would say something else is going on there? I have GW's in my vert and its setup real stiff with coilovers and my ride isnt bone jarring harsh at all, my buddy went with DSE's in his coupe and his ride is the same as mine very controlled but not bone jarring. BTW were also both running aluminum body bushings as well as Del-A-Lum bushings. It almost sounds like it binding then releasing harshly.

69 RS/SS vert tourer, LS7, T56, Baer, Hydrooost, GW, etc, etc,
Welfare is completely against freedom and the principles of american life, paying people not to work by stealing from the people who do is insanity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode