Team Camaro Tech banner

master cylinder rust

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Chevy-SS 
#1 ·
I checked my 68 RS in storage yesterday and found a light covering of rust on my new brake master cylinder. The car is in an unheated concrete floor garage. (It’s in Connecticut, so it has been cold) The hood is not on the car. The master cylinder was new this fall.

Obviously, it now looks like crap. So when I replace it, should I:

Clear coat the new one?
Paint?
Otherwise seal?

Or what do you all recommend?

#2 ·
EastWood DiamondCoat Satin is what I sprayed mine with, about 4 coats.
First trade it in for a replacement, wipe the new one clean with lacquer thinner because they come with an oily substance on them. Tape off any areas and spray with Eastwood DiamondCoat Satin, light coats, however many you feel you need.
Let it thoroughly dry for a day or so before using. Been over a year since I did mine, still looks brand new since the Diamondcoat was designed to protect that stuff. Works great on the Intake Manifold as well.

#3 ·
I have same problem, but don't feel like replacing the MC. Is there any way to get rid of the rust? It's not deep rust at all, just a rusty patina is all.

thanks

-

#5 ·
DjD said:
I've had good luck using never-dull. It's a wadding in a silver can and I found it takes rust off natural metal and actually leaves a protective coating that slows further rust...
Great, thanks! I'll pick some up today...........

-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.