Spring cutting - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Spring cutting

Hi,

I am in the process of installing my new Moog 6320 front springs. I have a SB with iron heads, PS and Air conditioning.
I think I'll need to cut the springs for proper height, now can you tell me if I cut 1/2 coil what will be the drop generated?
Should I first cut 1/4 coil ?

If somebody have these springs on his camaro SB with AC I'd be glad to see the stance !

Thanks.

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 06:58 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Spring cutting

How much do you want to lower the car? How does it sit with the uncut springs?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 08:48 AM
David Pozzi

that spring is about .3" taller than the 6308, I'd try it uncut first, then cut if needed.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 03:00 PM
Tech Team

Are those stock springs? I know that with the Guldstrand springs, they used to recommend cutting two inches of coil for every 1/4 inch drop. Be aware that this is a very rough estimate. And if they are new springs, they may also need time to settle.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

If you cut less than one full coil, won't the ends not sit right in the saddles? Won't they move around and stress (and maybe break) the ends? I guess not since it seems to be common practice.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 13th, 06, 11:03 PM
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2fast
If you cut less than one full coil, won't the ends not sit right in the saddles? Won't they move around and stress (and maybe break) the ends? I guess not since it seems to be common practice.
Good question. I always thought you had to cut them off a full coil at a time too.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 14th, 06, 06:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Lightbulb Re: Spring cutting

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwilcox33
Good question. I always thought you had to cut them off a full coil at a time too.
I cut what I need from the top of the spring, and then I make a 1.5" long chamfered/flat, on the top coil end, where it touches the coil upper pocket. It works for me.

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Marc

Thanks for the info, I'll try first without cutting them then and I'll see... My rear end is pretty low though so if front end is raised a little bit I need to raise the rear as well. But that is impossible without changing the springs is it?

Camaro 1968, propane 327ci, Big Brake, Hotchkis, T56
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Feb 15th, 06, 05:26 AM
Banned

Smile Re: Spring cutting

Marc,

I cut my #5536's by first clocking the ends to stock and then cutting one full coil off the open end, the end that goes down.

I wished I would have first cut the top or closed end b/c it would shorten the springs less b/c that first coil is closer together and then smoothed it of like ORENCH mentioned doing.

But my car has plenty of clearance as well as feels solid as a rock up front with my BB and Gas-A-Just shocks.

BUT I have to say, my car has never been this low fender height-wise before so is definately different to me!

I have posted both front and rear top center fender heights before if you want to do a search..

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode