9 inch rear end brakes - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Cool 9 inch rear end brakes

i ordered a great rear end from a company in iowa that makes 9" ford rear ends for first generation camaro's, the nice thing is they have GM ends and all the spring perches, but anyway my question is due to my lack of experience with the ford 9" rear end i need to find out if there is a company or if someone has pictures of how to hook up the hard lines or if there are hard lines on the rear end? i have never delt with this and no one in my area has done this type of convertion ( or i don't know them) to go look at this conversion and thing will help expecially something to look at. Thanks for all your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:00 AM
Tech Team

Re: 9 inch rear end brakes

I got a stock 9" out of a 72 Bronco in my 69. Installed it about 15 years ago but there wasn't much to it. Its about 1.5" shorter than a stock 69 camaro's rearend.

There should be a T-Fitting on the end of the brake hose that accepts Don't remember if my brake hose is from the Camaro or the Bronco but its installed with no adaptors. The hard lines can be made/bent from standard size lines available at any Auto parts store.

You didn't specify what year car or rearend you started with, But you will most likely need a new Drive Shaft too.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 05:23 PM
Team Member
Jerry Cox

Camarokid 24, I installed a 9" in my 68 from the same company with the gm brake ends. you will have to make your own brake lines for the 9" because the center secton is off center on the rear end. You will also have to make a mounting brake for you rear brake hose that goes from the body to the rear end. Now here is something that I had to go thru and so will you. You are going to have to trim out the center hole in the brake backing plate to allow the axle bearing to go thru it. Now you are going to have to take a lot of material out of the backing plate to clear the bearing. That is the only thing that I did not like, if I had it to do over I would have order the Ford brake kit from the company and had the ford ends on the rear end and you will do away with a lot of problems with the install. Now you can still get the axle drilled for the chevy bolt patten to use your wheels. Good luck Jerry

68 Red with Red & white interior, 383, Offenhauser Crossram, 700R4, Ocala FL

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

jerry you have any pictures of you brake lines or something i can see to get an idea i appreciate the reply and how do you like the rear end you bought from them? also removing that much metal do your brakes function properly with out issues, obviously they are stopping just wondering if there are any other mods that had to be made. like i said some pics would be great if you have them if you can't post them here maybe you can email them to me
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 11:18 AM
Team Member
Jerry Cox

I am still putting the car together at this time, but I have the rear end in the car. I can get you some pictures monday. I put the correct rear drum on the car because the one's that I had were not fitting correctly on the backing plate, the fins drum fit correctly. I just hooked up the e-brake cables today and had no problem with that. I have multi leaf spring on my car. I have not yet figured out how I am going to tie the brake lines to the rear end. There is one tie on the third member area, but none on the tubes. I had seen some hose clamp use on a jeep to hold the hard line down and I think that I am going to try that before I start welding on the rear. Did you get the hold package from them or just the housing? I got everything, posit unit, axles, and third member. You will have to check you drive shaft to make sure it is not too long. If it is not you can buy a u-joint that has ford spec on one side and chevy on the other one. Other than that there is nothing to fear, but fear itself. Good luck Jerry

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 10:14 AM
Team Member
Jerry Cox

I forgot that the shop is close today, so I will get the pictures Wed for you. Thanks Jerry

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

thanks i appreciate it!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 09:03 AM

What is the company in Iowa you ordered your rear from?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

i found the place on Ebay it seems small time but the guy said they ship anywhere from 1 to 9 a day its in ames iowa in fact they have a couple rear end housings on ebay for sale item # 320002824499 they can put whatever you want in it and either mono or multi perches. you can use any third member you choose from any 9" its a nice deal and they are really helpful too.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 05:13 PM
Team Member
Jerry Cox

Camarokid24 PM me and I will send you the picture I took today of the rear end. Thanks Jerry

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

thanks jerry my email is [email protected] should not have any space problems with the pics thanks again man
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 07:30 AM
Senior Tech

cujtten

What size of tires/rims are you running? I have a 9" out of an old Bronco that will be going in the Camaro someday.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 Camaro with 388 with Edleborck RPM heads, Air Gap, CC 282S, Tremec TKO
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 06, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

the standard 14x6 stock wheels and coker classic firestones with the modern technology
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 06, 04:39 PM
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywalker
cujtten

What size of tires/rims are you running? I have a 9" out of an old Bronco that will be going in the Camaro someday.

I'm running 295 T/A Radials with the rear of the leaf springs moved in on 15X10 rims with 4.5" offset. I have about 1/4" clearance on both sides of the tire. This is the max you could go and still fit inside a stock wheel well. I'm guessing 275 with rear springs in stock location. The Bronco rearend is about 1" narrower than a 67-69 camaro rear.

Moving the leaf springs in required that the gas tank be narrowed...wasn't a big deal when I only raced it, but now a 12 gallon tank in a 454 car bites. I plan to switch it over to a ladder bar setup this winter and go back to a stock tank or get a custom tank made.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode