lighter motor - want stock ride height - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

lighter motor - want stock ride height

I am going to be putting in an LS1 (aluminum block and heads) in my 69 x11. Compared to the 350 SBC (iron heads and block), the ls1 is about 100 lbs lighter. I want a stock ride height and will be running 15" rally wheels (no pro touring setup). I would like decent handling (better than stock), but will not be doing any road racing/auto-xing. I am thinking about the 6308 moog springs, being that they would make a SBC equipped car about 1-2 inches lower, so with the lighter motor i guesstimated that i would be back to somewhat stock ride height. will these springs suffice? Also thought about the 6320's and then cutting the spring to the ride height that i want.

ross
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 06, 10:25 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Re: lighter motor - want stock ride height

This is rough, but I'd use the "spring rate" method,..for instance, take a stock height front spring with a spring rate of 300 lbs. It would take 300 lbs to compress the spring one inch. There are two springs sharing the load and since the engine weight is somewhat rear the two coil springs, the rear suspension is less burdened with the aluminum engine and the rear would ride slightly higher.

So, I think your front end height would only be reduced by 1/8 inch or so with the 100 lbs reduction in engine weight.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Re: lighter motor - want stock ride height

thanks straight-line!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode