Just finished installing new rear leaf springs and shocks on my 67. ?????'s - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Just finished installing new rear leaf springs and shocks on my 67. ?????'s

Just installed new leaf springs and shocks on a 1967 camaro and it is very bouncy. When I went to put the shocks on they seemed pretty short and I had to have someone bounce on the rear so I could get the bolts in. Is this my problem or do leaf springs take a while to wear in??
I ordered the springs from classic industries, and they have four leafs in them. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 03:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

Re: Just finished installing new rear leaf springs and shocks on my 67. ?????'s

Did you switch from mono to 4-leafs? The mono leaf shock plates are different. Some shocks need an adapter kit if you have mono shock plates. Sorry if none of this applies to you.....

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 03:16 PM
Banned

A car will sit high IF you tightened everything down good and tight up on jackstands!

I still have to loosen mine back up, sit it down on the ground and bounce it some and retighten it to make sure it's right.

pdq67

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

No it had some crappy 3 leafs on there that were wore out. I am asuming the previous owner took one or two leafs out. I will post pics in a sec. to show you
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 04:16 PM Thread Starter

If you notice the shock is topped out
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

interesting.

Kara, you have a multi-leaf rear with multi leaf springs, but monoleaf shock plates and presumably shocks intended for a monoleaf suspension.

This could very well be the problem. The mono plates shock mounts are lower than the multi plates, about an inch, I believe the shocks are different lengths, too.

Regardless, if you unbolt the bottom of the shock and fully extend it, with the car on the ground and the weight on the wheels, the shock eye should be a few inches below the moutning hole in the perch, allowing the suspension go down from it's static position when you go over bumps.

How is the ride height in the back, good or too high?

If you tightened the springs with the car in the air, you might loosen those bolts and bounce the car a bit, it may settle down some.
You may need different shock, longer ones, if the ride ht is ok.
I don't think anyone reproduces 67 multi leaf shock plates, but some have "re-arranged" 68-69 plates with a saw and a welder.

btw, welcome to Team Camaro!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

The ride height is high. Let me post a pic. BTW where would I get longer shocks?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:40 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

Send a message via AIM to RamAirDave

Im thinking shock plates. Ive never had to specify which type of leafs when ordering rear shocks, and I think the difference in the shock location on the plate that jim mentioned makes up the difference, rather than needing a different shock.

Car does sit a little high, but I dont think its enough for the shock to be too "short". Now it sitting high, in addition to the wrong plate, could be the problem.

dave

Driving a #s-matching Z in the rain..... and lovin' it....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 06:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

hmmm, yes, tis a touch up there.

Depends on what you want, what your venders will put up with, and how much you want to hassle with it.

You could send the springs back and get different ones that will give you the ride ht you want.

You could pull em and have em dearched a bit, this will lower the ride without any bad effect on the spring.

As for shocks, if you find a frindly counter man, the back on most parts books lists the parts by details rather than application. It will list the type of "ends" on the shock as well as the collapsed and extended length. This will require a real book, not the computer, and may take some time, but you should be able to find a shock that will bolt to your car and is say 3" longer than the ones you have (or will provide you with 3" of "extension" from ride ht before "topping" out).

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 30th, 06, 07:28 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

I'm going through this right now...
There aren't "multi-leaf" shock plates for a 67...
1. Detroit speed and engineering has shock plates for a 67 (non-staggered) that will use 68-69 shocks (different lower mounting points).
2. Farm Boy did a fabrication by taking a 68 shock plate and then having a steel shop create a mirror image plate. Essentially what DSE offers, but he did it before they offered them.
3. What about shock extensions to extend the upper stub. P/N MRG-1290 $9.95 at Summit. I got mine in the mail today just to test before I decide to spend the money for new shocks and shock plates. I'm installing the rear and springs this weekend...I'll let you know.

These would solve the shock issue, but I'm not certain 100% that would solve the bounciness...

-Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's

Last edited by 67FamilyFun; Jun 30th, 06 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 1st, 06, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah let me know how that goes! Much appreciation!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 2nd, 06, 07:57 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

kara,
I did the same setup as you...except w/hotchkis 3 leaf setup.
Multi perches/Mono plate. Mine looks a little high, but I dont' have interior/engine/transmission installed. I put the shock entensions on and had to compress the shock to install it...without extensions it would have taken some serious bouncing to install the shocks!
Hope it will settle some with time...
-Scott

His and Hers Marina blue 67's
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 11:38 AM
Senior Tech
Mike Petrovich

Kara, you mentioned you removed some old 3 leaf springs. There are special 3-leaf springs made to be a direct replacement for mono springs. With them, you use the original mono shock plates. JC Whitney used to carry them for Nova/Camaro, I bought mine at a local spring shop in St. Louis (part #21-245). I wonder if this is what you had on your car......

I have also heard that the 1968 and later shock plates were stronger than the 1967 Camaro shock plates. Best wishes.

1968 327 sport coupe. Son of original owner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode