Power Steering and Brake Conversion Issues - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 3rd, 06, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Angry Power Steering and Brake Conversion Issues

Hi All,
I have been scanning your forumns for the past 5 months while trying to finish up a 67 camaro restoration that began 9 years ago. It was my fathers first new car and I trashed it growing up. SO I am trying to put it back together. I am almost done!!! But I am having problems 2 things and I think both of them belong in this category.

First the details of the problems:
I converted the steering and Brakes to power and disk brakes.
Conversion details:
Power Steering is a CPP quick ratio gear box and Billet Specialties pump (Tru track system) and remote reservoir. Have the steel braded hoses on the low pressure and a custom made high pressure hose.

Brakes are also CPP 4 wheel, power disc brake conversion.

Problems:
1)Power steering - I converted from manual to power. I have installed everything and after starting the engine 3-5 times had some alarming problems with the power steering. The steering would take off on me. It turned so hard and fast it actually cut my arm while I was reaching between the steering wheel spokes to turn the key. It did this a couple of time and then finally the pump blew out at the shaft seal. A buddy thought the pump was the problem I kind of thought the pump was a symptom of hte real problem. Ordered new pump and it does the same thing! Has not blown out yet, once it fdid it I shut it off and now I am begging the experts for help. Oh and also looked like there was some metal (probably aluminum-not magnetic) in the fluid + fluid was foaming a bit.

2) Brakes - Cannot get pressure to teh back calipers. They will not move. Fronts seems to be working fine but the rears are a pain in my arse! I bought a power bleed system and I am gett ready to try it but I am not expecting it to fix my problem with pressure because I have been getting fluid out of the bleeders for a while but only moderate pressure when pedal is pumped hard like 10 times and then the bleeder cracked. Then on the next atrtempt no pressure again! I am getting ready to replace the metering block or proportioning valve (whatever it's called) below the master cylinder but I am not sure if this will do the trick!

I think I might have the hoses to the gear box mixed? The hose from the reservoir to the pump is AN -10. The hose from the pressure side of pump to gear box is AN -6 (i think), and the return is slightly larger fitting out of the box to teh res but I think I put an adapter fitting to make it -6 AN also. i can double check this.
Any guidance from you guys would be deeply appreciated...

Rgds,
Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 02:54 PM
Senior Tech

Re: Power Steering and Brake Conversion Issues

The gear port that is nearest the input shaft is the low pressure return. It should feed directly back to the pump reservoir.

The gear port that is nearest the aluminum side cover is the high pressure hose connected to the pump discharge fitting.

JIML82
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 06:36 PM
Senior Tech

Smile Re: Power Steering and Brake Conversion Issues

When i converted my 67' to pwr. disc brks, i had a similar problem in bleeding them. I couldn't get any press. Fluid just dribbled out. I almost wore my wife's leg out! I found out i wasn't getting enough stoke on the master cyl. I installed a 1/2" longer adjuster on the shaft and that's all it needed. Hope this helps.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 4th, 06, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to Jim and 67 Plain Jane. I checked the hoses on the PS and it looks like I have them wrong. The pressure line is going to the farthest port near the steering shaft and the return is coming out of the one by the aluminum cover. SO I need to have a new hose made. No problem there and glad to have an easy fix.... I still need to check on the brake rod. I think my problem is going to be more likely that the rod is too long vs too short. I think I have a very light pedal pressure in the return position and it may be causing or at least contributing to the issues I am having. Still not certain if this is it or not but worth trying. I am still concerned about the proportioning valve contributing to the issue???
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 5th, 06, 06:45 PM
Senior Tech

You also might want to check the press. at the fitting where the hose from the rear axle connects to the line running from the front of the car as sometimes the hose collapses
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 06, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Okay, I had a new power steering hose made for the car to connect it to the other/correct point on the gear box. Now my power steering works great- thanks for the information, I thought it could be the problem but had to drive a long way and spend $35 to get one made so I kind of liked going over with confidence that it would work. Now for the brakes. I pulled the master cylinder again and performed bench bleed a second time. I got more air out of it. I reinstalled it and the brakes seem to work fine now. So some luck this time around. Thanks again to all of you who helped!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 11th, 06, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Paul

I had the same issue w/my power brake conversion. My issue was I had the rod adjusted so it was too long. When I decreased the length, I was able to bleed the rear brakes.

I think that b/c the master wasn't able to fully return, it couldn't get any juice to the rears.

Good luck w/your car!

1967 Camaro RS 350, Tremec 5spd, Hotchkis, Frame off

Bought it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rebuilt it
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Almost done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode