70 Disc conversion? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 13th, 06, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

70 Disc conversion?

Hey all,I have a 70 chevelle and i just converted to f disc brakes.I was told an
83 caprice setup would fit,so thats what i got, everything went back togeather ok but my wheels are out from top to bottm by 3/4 inch or so like this \-----/ can this be fixed or do i need a different set up (its not out by much but u can see it )
ps. i changed to heavier tie rods and sway bar ends all fit ok?
Thanks
Bill.D.

Last edited by vampire0668; Jul 14th, 06 at 08:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Re: 70 Disc conversion?

is this such a dumb move that noone thinks i deserver a reply? ....lmao i didnt want to go aftermarket cause most seem to be drop kits.Finding anything that year thats parting out is rare ...I'm in Canada so its either a show car here or its been eatin by road salt ...few years in a junk yard then crushed. My car is a 70 2dr ht orig was a 307 auto i 've cloned to an ss went with a sb cause i wanna drive it,its a 70 350 4 bolt steel crank flattops yadayada geared mildly cause i wanna drive it lol.But now i'm havin a hard time stoppin it lol.So if I take it for an alignmet can upper be adjusted enough to make up the 3/4 " or will they do that? p.s. i did change lower ball joints to heavier 83 p# to fit spindles. Any help would be appreciated cause i don't wanna drive it like this and summers tickin by.This is her before its black now with gold stripes.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 09:49 AM
Senior Tech
Ryan

You might want to try your question over on the team chevelle forumn. People with camaros probably do not know to much about conversions on chevelles. Here is a link to their Brake & Suspension forumn.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

ah good point,ive got help from here before though, i'd try, ill copy over thanks.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 14th, 06, 03:25 PM
Banned

Smile Re: 70 Disc conversion?

I think your car has forged spindles with bolt-on steering arms and the Big Car spindle is a one piece cast jobber!

Therefore it is not advised to try to make it work on your car!! Ioho here, we consider it as a mis-match, even tho it will mount...

Somebody said that they made this work several years ago BUT I don't think that we here ever got the whole story of how it was done correctly..

If all you are after are big disc brakes, I have a free cardboard template that fit's 13", 1988 'Vette front rotors to either one of the forged spindles using stock big single piston calipers or the wider pad jaw Van ones!

I used two-piece rotor hubs less rotors or you can use '69 one-piece cast rotor/hubs with the rotor removed!! You can also use drum hubs but the bracket/spindle "spacing" spacers will need to be correct.

I will tell you up front that you HAVE to run at least a 17" rim to clear a 13" rotor tho..

This is called my "pdqCBB" front system and it is on my '67 Camaro now along with my Pony-car, 17" "Bullitt" wheels!!

My "pdqCBB" rear system consist's of 11.75", 1990 Camaro rear rotors and again custom brackets to mount 1980 Cad. Sevelle e-brake calipers!! On there too...

PM me if you want a free front template??

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode