2 Peice Rotors / Disc Brake conversion - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 05:58 AM Thread Starter

2 Peice Rotors / Disc Brake conversion

Where can I buy new rotors for the 2 peice rotors, all the part stores have one peice rotors. Who makes the correct or best factory disc brake conversion with little or no modifications.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 06:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: 2 Peice Rotors / Disc Brake conversion

I dont think you can buy the rotor for the 2 piece. The only place you can get 2 piece rotors is ebay, junkyards or swapmeets. It is tough to find a used 2 piece that is within spec.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 06:41 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

Cool Re: 2 Peice Rotors / Disc Brake conversion

Two piece rotors are only available on the 'vette and imports (Porsche, BMW, etc.). I think once you go initially with a two piece design then you are committed to deal with Baer, and Willwood for life. That is why I chose to stay all Chevy and use parts off pick-ups and late model Camaros that are still sold across the counter new (most kits offered by SSBC are made up of modified (plated and sloted) stock components packaged in their kits that are also available at most parts stores if you know what it came off of).

Larger Dave

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 06:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I think he was talking about the original 2 piece rotors that came on first gen camaros from the factory.

Team Camaro Gold Member #14

1967 Camaro RS/z28 - one of 602 made - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Camaro RS/SS L48 4 speed
1974 Camaro LT-Z/28 4 speed 33K orig miles
1979 Camaro Z/28 36K orig miles
1987 Monte Carlo SS 25K orig mi bought new by me.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 07:11 AM
Senior Tech
Dave

My first gen had disc brakes and it had a one piece rotor with a full floating four puck caliper off of a second generation Corvette.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 15th, 06, 09:39 PM
Senior Tech
Wes

Yeah,..once the the original two-piecers lose their meat, it's best to replace them with the one-piecers,..unless you're building super-correct car.

I'm sure hats are still available but separating the hub is a pain, and the hub will likely be rusty which will cause run-out problems.

It's simply not worth it when Wagner or Raybestos or Bendix has replacement one-piece rotor/hubs for $50-60.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 06, 06:17 AM
Senior Tech
John

Even with the original two piece rotors, you had to remove the hub to replace the disc because the disc was separately bolted to the BACK of the hub flange. Replacement one-piece rotors for the 4 piston calipers run about $120/side while the same rotor for a single piston caliper runs about $30-50/side. The 4 piston disc has a smaller hub diameter so the discs are forward, but not backwards compatible with the calipers. I believe all the parts for the original 4 piston setup are now reproduced except for the caliper bracket.

John

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 06, 11:16 AM
Senior Tech

Send a message via AIM to Gehrkmania Send a message via Yahoo to Gehrkmania

You can get a replacement for those rotors here:

http://www.rickscamaros.com/cgi-loca...f4c+1153148303

It's a 1 piece, but it's the correct size and shape for the 4-piston caliper, 2-piece rotor setup. I just replaced the rotors on my '67 with those and they fit perfectly. It does suck to pay $110 each for a rotor, when you can get them for $30 for just about any other car - but it beats buying a used 2-piece for way more than it's worth (in terms of usefullness).

'67 RS/SS Black on Black
350 4-Speed
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 06, 04:46 PM
Senior Tech
Keith

All the original 4 piston disc parts are being reproduced. I was talking to a vendor at Good Guys (The Right Stuff), and they sell the mounting brackets for $80 a pair. They also sell the small brackets that hold the inlet lines to the caliper mounts.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 06, 06:57 PM
Senior Tech
John

There ya go! Right Stuff is great to work with. I have a set of uncut two-piece rotors if you want to finish it off in total original appearance style.

John

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 06, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input, I am going with the one peice setup. Already have the rotors, just need to replace the studs with longer ones for the weld draglite wheels.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode