I got alignment done today? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

I got alignment done today?

I just got my car aligned today and shop did that said that they can only dial in 1.4* left and 1.8*right. caster. Camber 0.5 neg, and toe in .12*. Driver side wheel when turn hits almost the fender bolt but litle more room on the passenger side.
Drives nice and it does not swim over the bumps.
So how everyone talking to have 4 to 5 degrees caster? I have 17" wheels with 245/45/17 tires. Also I moved the upper A arm mount rearward and down like G mod. I 'm stumbled.

67 LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by 67ptcamaro; Jul 17th, 06 at 07:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 06:39 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I got alignment done today.

I would find a different shop. If you did the Guldstrand mod correctly you should be able to get at least +4.5* caster. Something does not add up.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Re: I got alignment done today.

So, I realy like to know what kind of caster you guys got with this kind of tire. Remember when I turn the wheels it almost touches the inner wheel well/fender bolt.(You know what I mean)

Baz 67, I think I'm at the max as far as the spindle tilting bec. it almost touches the bolt when the tires turned. So could i have bad lower A arms which would bring the lower ball joint reawards?

67 LS1 T56

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 11:44 PM
Senior Tech

Re: I got alignment done today?

does you have a large rack? err.. uh rake?

because if your car is raked, every 1 degree of rake takes away 1 degree of caster
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

you might also check your subframe...
Once apon a time I posted measurments for how far apart the upper a-arm mounts should be. Problem is I don't know how one would measure it with the motor in the car. It's possible that your subframe has sagged inwards over the years, this will reduce the size of the a-arm shimpack and therefore reduce the amount of caster you can get.

You are considered "maxed out" when you have no shims on the front bolt

Offset a-arm shafts may help.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 07:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

how thick are your shim sets?
all 4
are they even side to side?

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
you might also check your subframe...
Once apon a time I posted measurments for how far apart the upper a-arm mounts should be. Problem is I don't know how one would measure it with the motor in the car. It's possible that your subframe has sagged inwards over the years, this will reduce the size of the a-arm shimpack and therefore reduce the amount of caster you can get.

You are considered "maxed out" when you have no shims on the front bolt

Offset a-arm shafts may help.
Jim,
Is it right my understanding is that;
When you get more caster you are tilting the top of the spindle to rear? If so I'm maxed out due to tire hitting the fender when wheel is turned. I can not get anymore caster.
I got about 4 shims in the back (3 in one side) and none in front.
with this size of tire ;
Either the guy is giving me wrong info or my sub frame mounted more towards the rear and i'm loosing some valuable adjustment space for tire clearence for the max caster.

67 LS1 T56

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 01:01 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

To get more caster, (without changing camber, which was set first) you take a shim out of the front and put it in the back, and yes, this tips the spindle back and moves the tire back a little.

You're maxed becasue there are no more shims to take out of the front bolts.

It sounds like your subframe is a bit saggy. With the g/s mod, I get 3.5 degrees caster, 1 neg camber, with 1-2 shims left in the front.

The rubbing is a tire/wheel issue. 245/45 is aweful big, more backspace may help.

I'd try offset shafts, and remove or grind down the offending bolt.

If the handling is ok, leaving well enough alone is a good option too.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM
To get more caster, (without changing camber, which was set first) you take a shim out of the front and put it in the back, and yes, this tips the spindle back and moves the tire back a little.

You're maxed becasue there are no more shims to take out of the front bolts.

It sounds like your subframe is a bit saggy. With the g/s mod, I get 3.5 degrees caster, 1 neg camber, with 1-2 shims left in the front.

The rubbing is a tire/wheel issue. 245/45 is aweful big, more backspace may help.

I'd try offset shafts, and remove or grind down the offending bolt.

If the handling is ok, leaving well enough alone is a good option too.
I have the ofset shaft but I installed in a way that I would use less shim anotherwords instead of A arm out it's more moved in.
If I flipp the cross shaft, I know I would get more shims in the front thus we can put more shim in the back as you say to get more caster.
I wonder how much more caster I can get by mowing the wheel back 1/4 " by more shims?
Because I can probably play around with the sub frame to create more room if thehere is any.
Besides all that car drives and steers fine but arent we all after the best?
Thanks

67 LS1 T56

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 05:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

if you want to play with it more, rotate the cross shafts 180, loosen the sub and pry it forward as far as it will go while still maintaining square (I drop 4 plumb bobs from the alignment holes near the front leaf perches and the sub and cross measure on the floor) then have it aligned again.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 07:50 AM
David Pozzi

Be aware that the steering shaft alignment will change if you move the sub.
You may have to loosen the steering box bolts and relieve any tension on the steering column.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 19th, 06, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech

JimM, thats what I will do later.
David good reminder thanks.
I just wanna enjoy it now.

67 LS1 T56

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode