disc brake steering arms? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

disc brake steering arms?

Hello guys, if anyone could get me a link to a good used supplier that may have disc brake steering arms that would be great. If anyone has an idea of what they should cost that would be great too. thanks in advance.

67 street strip------------On NOS
NEW BEST july 29/07-----aug 26/06
E.T 11.15----------------10.60
MPH 121.24--------------129.89
60' 1.54------------------1.52
Dec 01/08
Car torn apart soon to be 25.2 cert not sure how fast i want to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 06, 07:23 PM
Senior Tech

Re: disc brake steering arms?

With the exception of the arms used on JL-8 4-wheel disc cars, there aren't really "disc brake" steering arms. The different arm lengths were tied to the type of steering used (manual, power, fast ratio, etc.). David Pozzi has a good discussion on this link, about 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.pozziracing.com/camaro_st...eering_linkage

Are you doing a conversion, and think you need new arms? Tell us what you're trying to do and we may be able to better answer.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chad

Ok here is what is happening. I bought the car with disc brakes already on but i noticed that the calipers where are the wrong side on rotor (mount towards the front of the car). I should add this car was just a body on wheels when i bought it and most the work that was done was half finished. So i took the car to a buddies shop to get it aligned before taking it to the track last year and everything seemed alright untill i launched the car. As soon as the front tires where unload the right tire toed in bad, when the car came down the tire did a little shimmy then straightend out almost all the way. The car still drives straight but this is not right at all. So a week ago i took the front end apart and what the previous owner has done it seems is put front disc brakes off a chevelle on the car and to make them work mount the disc brake brackets and dust shield on backwards and use the chevelle steering arm. If you have this months copy of chevy rumble the part i need is on the front cover.http://www.mondotimes.com/2/topics/5...nment/11/13576

The fourth little box over from the left above the camaro, if you have the issue in the mag i have the steering arm labeled 64-72 chevelle. I have also noticed that the lower ball joints are junk and that the inner and outer tie rod ends where installed reverse. Iam not sure how much this will change things but iam replacing all of it. I have a manual steering box as well. IF there is anything you need me to add let me know i will answer what i can, thanks for the reply.

67 street strip------------On NOS
NEW BEST july 29/07-----aug 26/06
E.T 11.15----------------10.60
MPH 121.24--------------129.89
60' 1.54------------------1.52
Dec 01/08
Car torn apart soon to be 25.2 cert not sure how fast i want to go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 18th, 06, 09:27 PM
Senior Tech

That chevelle arm changes the 'bumpsteer' significantly by raising the tie rod. The susension arc is changing the toe angle. Sounds like you might have idler arm issues too.

You see them on Ebay attached to some brake kits sometimes. Since there are different lengths you want to make sure you have the same on both sides.
I have a pair of long ones I would like to hold on to, but someone here might have an extra set for cheap. Try an ad in the classifieds.

Eric, the JL8 had different arms? I need more info. I've been tossing around ideas of a JL8 front conversion eventually. I pulled a pic from this site and the arm looked the same, except for an extra bolt-on bracket. PM me.

If I didn't learn it from my my mentors, I learned it as a result.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode