Poll for D's 68, Should He Put in Power Steering or Manual? - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

View Poll Results: Power Steering or Manual Steering in your first gen?
Power 53 69.74%
Manual 23 30.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Poll for D's 68, Should He Put in Power Steering or Manual?

Poll for Dewayne. Note, this is a poll for what he should go with, not what you currently have! Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by D's 68
I was trying to decide to keep manual steering,or go power? I never drove the car so i don't know how how hard it is to steer.I have 68 camaro big block.(manual steering) Thanks in advance Dewayne.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

Last edited by clwilcox33; Jul 24th, 06 at 03:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 04:00 PM
Senior Tech
Lester

Re: Poll for D's 68, Should He Put in Power Steering or Manual?

I voted for power because with the 396 it would make it hard to parallel park. But as long as your rolling it's not to bad. If its a race car I vote no power.

Les Dixon member #68 1968 camaro RS/SS MR code L34 396 air convertible
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 05:08 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Whats the car's main use, if its a cruiser power steering all the way, if it's a more race oriented car, manual. I used to drive my buddys 69 with a 454 a bit, and even with little skinny tires it was a mother to steer if not moving or barely moving. I have ps on my smallblock car and love it, but it's too low effort, if he does go power, go a bit higher effort.

Sean

1968 rs with an old school 354" SB2.2 pump gas motor.

Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth.

Franklin D. Roosevelt

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 05:49 PM
Tech Team
Dewayne

Ok,80% power now i'm leaning towards power.Thanks clwilcox33 for starting this poll.I voted manual.Wish i could vote again.Thanks guys.Dewayne
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 07:15 PM
Team Member
Jerry R.

I'll admit , I can't watch TV without the remote control and that I love my garage door opener and the power lumbar in my Silverado. But driving these first gens is an experience . I don't want it to be easy or convenient or effortless. There is something special about driving on a hot day with the windows down cuz there ain't no A/C or feeling every bump in the road or your right leg going numb on a long drive for lack of cruise control. Fighting that steering wheel is an experience Dewayne should not be denied . Lest we forget the reason Camaro was put on this earth in the first place but to spank those Mustangs of the mid 60's.

ps I voted manual

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 06, 07:36 PM
Senior Tech
Harley D

Power for the street and manual for a strip only car.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind."-Dr. Seuss
We learn life's important lessons in kindergarten.

Harley D
'67 coupe 427SBC
60'1.728
1/[email protected]

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
Team Member
Christropher

Quote:
Originally Posted by d's 68
Ok,80% power now i'm leaning towards power.Thanks clwilcox33 for starting this poll.I voted manual.Wish i could vote again.Thanks guys.Dewayne
You're welcome! I didn't think you were getting a really good sampling of opinions on the other thread. Just so happens that more of the manual steering guys were taking the time to reply to you at first than the power guys. With a poll at least you get more responses because it allows folks to reply with their opinion and still be lazy

Christropher

...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 06:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

long ago I had a 67 with the standard manual steering box. It was nearly 4 turens lock to lock. It was also virtually impossible to turn the steering wheel when not moving or at a crawl.

With the stock PS box in my 68, 3.5 turns lock to lock and so easy you could steer it with your pinky even stationary. Drivinfg fllet very "vague" didn't like that either.

The thirdgen box in it now is perfect. 2.5 turns lock to lock, just enough power assist so you can turn the wheel with one hand, but very good feel and no vagueness ever.

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 08:54 AM
Senior Tech
Jimmie-Retired

My first Camaro was a 396 with no P/S and let me tell you, it was a bear to double park. When I got my next Camaro, it was also a non P/S car and was equally annoying to drive. I installed a P/S with the longer pitman arm and it really is a pleasure to drive now with about 2 3/4 turns lock to lock. It really lacks road feel at interstate speeds so go with a variable ratio 3rd gen unit as JimM mentions.

Jim's '69

68 SS 396 4 speed A/C Bought New Sold 1976
68 350/350 A/C Bought 1978 $700 Wrecked
69 350 4 Speed Bought 1988
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Butch

Smile Re: Poll for D's 68, Should He Put in Power Steering or Manual?

I'm with the majority I have had 3 other camaros with big blocks and a Z all were manual. One was a drag car the other 2 street driven but the SS I am putting together now is power steering. I think I will like it better I agree the with the others parking them was a pain.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 09:46 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Yeah, power all the way

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 09:59 AM
Team Member
Jerry R.

my Magnaflow X-pipe system sound clip, click the link

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 10:08 AM
Damon

Gotta love the power!
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 10:17 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bruno

Power, like said before. As for leaks, you can have potential leaks all around the car, if parts aren't the correct ones, or are incorrectly instaled. JMO

"Our affair with Camaros is a life sentence without the possibility of parole".
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 06, 08:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

If you haven't seen this yet give it a read: http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in