torkers rear brakes on a 9" - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

torkers rear brakes on a 9"

Ok guys,

Ive looked at torkers page and i cant quite figure out what i have to do to make this work on a 9" rear that im about to order.

heres his website: http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html

Hes using 97 camaro rear discs with a caliper mounting bracket.

What housing ends is he using? Is he using a stock ford big bearing housing end or something called a GM flush mount housing end?

Does he use this caliper bracket as an axle retainer such that he had to put the caliper bracket on the axle shaft and then press on his axle bearings?

How is the caliper bracket attached to the housing ends?

thanks all

jeff

1967 SS 396, M20.
now a 10.4:1 540, AFR 315 heads, UDHarold SR Cam with a Tremec TKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Re: torkers rear brakes on a 9"

actually, ill broaden the question a little too. has anyone used anything else for rear discs on a 9" with a chevy bolt pattern? i hear that some of the ford brakes arent that great and anyway, i want the 5 x 4.75 bolt pattern.

thanks

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 02:35 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

The housing end uses a Ford bearing but has a Chevrolet backing plate bolt pattern. This allows the use of the later model Z-28 disk brake caliper mounts.

The disk brake caliper mount also acts as a bearing retainer, performing the same function as the "U" bracket normally used. And yes, the bracket must be installed first, then the bearing pressed into position on the axle. Many of the aftermarket caliper mounts have a "U" shape and do not require axle bearing removal.

The bracket attaches to the housing end using four bolts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Carl,

thanks for writing back! What is the part number for the housing end that he (and maybe you) are using? the housing end uses the big ford bearing?

Also, whats the 2.91" he keeps talking about? i thought the axle flange to housing flange on a chevy was 2.75"

thanks!

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 04:06 PM
Banned

Check this current thread out and i figure it will help explain some stuff.

Larger Dave is good help here too!

https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=86525

pdq67

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Paul,

I saw the links and suggestions, but i really want a 5x 4.75 bolt pattern... i saw Dobe's picture. did he do the same thing as Torker?

Donbe, Carl?

thanks guys

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 10:18 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Here's my PM reply:

Jeff,

The ends are similar to these, and are the same ones on my car:

http://www.tomsdifferentials.com/catalog.asp?pg=8

With this housing end the large Ford bearing extends about 0.025" past the face of the housing. The caliper bracket is used to retain the bearing, but the GM bracket is intended to mount flush with the housing end on stock applications. Hence, the caliper bracket mounts 0.025" outboard from the stock centerline. What this means is that caliper basket (the cast iron basket that the caliper floats in) comes very close to rubbing the inboard side of the rotor. It works in our applications, but it's close. Worst case, shim/mill/grind the caliper bracket to clear.

If the offset was 2.75" vs. 2.91" there's no way it would fit unless GM had some other spacer. I don't think there is one.

Carl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Jeff

Hey Carl,

Thanks for writing back.

Is "exposing" the .025 of the bearing going to hurt it or should i grind off the .025" from the caliper bracket to cover it and mount flush? (and does it have to be a perfect .025" all around?)

Also would it severely weaken the caliper bracket if i redrilled it to fit over standard big ford bearing housing end bolt pattern?

I can save 75 bucks by not having the buy the 'chevy' ford ends (like the ones from tom's diffs that you showed me) if i could make the camaro caliper bracket go over the ford ends...

think its worth it?

thanks

1967 SS 396, M20.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 08:33 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Here's my PM reply:

Mine works fine with the 0.025" stickout and the stock bracket. You could easily mount the bracket in a lathe and turn a relief into the bracket face to receive the bearing. You would still want a 0.001" minimum compression. This is the best way to re-center the bracketry over the caliper.

I don't know how the Ford pattern compares to the GM. If they pattern is smaller, then there might be some strength problems. I also don't remember if there is a boss on the outboard side for the bolt to pass through, or if the bolt head is recessed. It might work just fine if you can drill the bolt pattern accurately. The pictures on Torker's website looks promising to redrill the pattern.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode