Help! original Drums or disks - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 06, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Help! original Drums or disks

I have a 67 number matching convertible and was wonder how much does it cost to replace drum brakes to disk brakes....and if i do will it effect the value of the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Help! original Drums or disks

You're certainly not going to lose value by changing configuration of brakes, you're improving the safety of the car, always adds value.

I would keep the OE drum brakes in case you ever sell it, just for the numbers issue.

I would suggest a single piston caliper, as started in 1969, as 1967 came with four-piston calipers and price of parts is very pricey. If you do find a set of four-piston calipers, good luck, I'd send them to White Post Restorations or Stainless Steel Brakes for stainless steel sleeving of the caliper cylinders to prevent pitting making the caliper useless, or at least a paperweight.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 04:50 AM
Banned

By a set of hi-po brake shoes from Praise.

pdq67

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 08:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

My wife took one drive in my car with the origional non power drums and made me put discs on or I had to sell the car! With everyone else on the road driving 2 and 4 wheel discs, it isn't safe to be driving around with 40 yr old brakes. It will cost you about $400-500 to upgrade to a front wheel disc system if you piece all the parts together or about $600-700 for a 'one-stop-shoppng' kit from one of the repo houses. (Check out our sponsors website)and will be the best money you will ever spend. I kept my old drum setup around the garage for a while, but I think their gone now...Might as well replace your ball joints while you are at it, and if your control arm bushings haven't been changed on a while...

'67 convertible 210HP 327/Powerglide (not anymore!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 11:54 AM
Tech Team
Don

Send a message via MSN to donbe Send a message via Skype™ to donbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo10989
I have a 67 number matching convertible and was wonder how much does it cost to replace drum brakes to disk brakes....and if i do will it effect the value of the car.
Here's how I installed LS1 Camaro brakes on my ChevyII with Camaro drum spindles. The only issue is wheel clearance with stock wheels. I have to run 16" wheels to clear the calipers.

'67 RS SS396 - Restoration in progress
'68 6 cyl Coupe Restored
'68 Convertible - Wild Project Car - TT AWD
'00 Race Car - Project Drag car
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 12:18 PM
Senior Tech
Dave

The LS-1 is an upgrade over the stock single puck 11" disc brakes available in kit form or out of salvage yards off of '69-'74 Nova's (Apollo, Ventura, Omega). The LS-1 rotor is 12" in dia. with PBR dual caliper brakes and requires changing the spindle; not to mention the need (not desire) for bigger wheels.

Larger Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode