Bushings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bushings

My 69 is completely stripped down as of now....what bushings should I go with...rubber or polyurethane? Thanks guys! Any other changes one would recommend? Note: the car has sat in a garage the last 20+ years!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 06:21 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Re: Bushings

There are a lot of threads on this. The general consensus seems to be, if you are looking for a smooth ride and quiet, go with rubber. If you want to push the car as in things like autocross, the poly is gonna be better, but may squeak on you quite a bit.

I just did a front end rebuild on my 69 that's used for fun runs and sat nite cruises, and I went with stock rubber.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 06, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks...it is very good to know. I am going rubber.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Question Re: Bushings

How hard is it to replace bushing (what special tools are needed, is this a one man job, a weekend project or a couple of hours?) and also since i'm replacing bushing, should I replace the ball joins?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 09:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

What bushings? There are lots of them.

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 09:15 AM
Senior Tech
Mike

The basic suspension bushings are for the machine shop to do. If you get the Upper and Lower control arms off yourself, then take um to a machine shop w/ the parts you can get them all done for about 50$ per side. That includes getting the lower ball joint pressed in. The rest of the rebuild (tie rod ends, idler arm sway bar) are all garage projects that are fairly easy.

The body month bushings I have but have not done yet. Seems simple if there is minimal rust damage. If you have rust damage you are in for a time.

The rear suspension bushings were fairly easy as well.

Just know that these cars have issues after almost 40 yrs on the roads. One project seems to require the completion of another project before finishing the one you wanted to do. Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode