Subframe connector fitment questions - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Send a message via MSN to Mike_M
Subframe connector fitment questions

We've been trying to install my new Global West subframe connectors, got the GW interloc bushings in without too much problem, but we're running into some questions regarding the fitment of the SFC's. Right where the rear bracket of the subframe connector wants to land on the rear frame rail, there is a bracket for the brake cable that's interfering. I haven't heard of this issue with GW subframe connectors before, do they usually clear this bracket? Is the connector not in the correct place, or should we simply clearance the connector to go around the bracket? Here is a picture of what I'm talking about:

Second issue - if the subframe connectors were fit all the way up snug on the frame rail (once we get the brake cable bracket figured out) they would run into the leaf springs. These are currently the stock leafs, I've got a set of Hotchkis leafs on the way, they should be here next week. The car is up on jack stands, but the stands are under the axle, so the suspension is under load. This car has always sat very high in the back, perhaps this is the problem? Here's a pic of the SFC/spring interference:

Third question - the front leafspring mounts I have were cut at one time in the past. I bought new ones, but I don't know what hardware I need, I'm assuming Grade 8 bolts, etc. I know the Hotchkis leaf spring kit comes with the hardware to attach the spring to the mount, but I'm doubting it comes with the hardware to attach the mount to the car. All that ugly rusty stuff will be cleaned up and made pretty before the new springs go in.

Thanks in advance!

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 08:41 PM
DHH
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Re: Subframe connector fitment questions

I just finished installing the Hotchkis rear springs on my 69. The kit comes with the bolts that go through the pockets and new bolts and clip nuts to mount the pockets. Also has new bolts and shackles for the rear mount. The instructions are very basic, not what I expected. A word of advice, take the time to thoroughly clean the tubes in the rear frame rails. I thought I did a good job but ended up taking the rear bushings to my bench grinder and shaving them just a bit to get them in. I bent 3 pieces of 1/2" threaded rod trying to press them in before that. Most of the posts got them in easy with the rod and nuts, so I'm not sure if it was me or the car.
Don
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 06, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks Don - that's good news, glad I don't have to buy any more hardware. Sounds like quite a procedure to get the rear bushings in. Thank you for the advice, I'm hoping mine goes together more easily than yours. Probably won't, though, nothing seems to go easily on this car!

Mike...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 12:35 PM
Senior Tech

Just a thought here,Mike-are you sure you have the S/F connectors on the correct sides of the car? It looks to me like the bracket is clearanced on the opposite side where it meets the frame rail and,in the second photo,the connector bends right into the spring,where it would bend away from it on the opposite side.

69 X77 Z/28
1980 Harley Tour Glide
67 Buick Special Sedan
66 Buick Special Conv.(Buicks are Paula's)
79 Trans Am rescue project,36000 original miles!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

That's a really good question, Peter... It DOES look like that, doesn't it.... I didn't actually put them on myself, the body guy who's working on the car for me brought it to my attention last night and we were playing around with them trying to see how they should fit. They line up perfectly with the frame rails the way they are, I assumed that meant they were on the correct sides of the car and never tried switching them around. If the rear sub frame mounts and rear frame rails are in line with one another, (which they seem to be, checking the chassis diagram I found elseware on the site), you might very well be correct. I'll be VERY embarrassed if that's all it is, as I'm sure my body guy will be too. Despite the embarrassment, I hope that's the problem. Thanks!

Mike...

Last edited by Mike_M; Jul 29th, 06 at 03:26 PM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 06:18 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Hey Mike, I'm pretty sure once you switch them around, they'll go on just fine. I installed them last summer and they made a big difference.

Mike

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thanks Mike. I'm glad to know it's such a simple matter, although I feel like an idiot for not checking that myself when I was out there last night.

Mike...

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 07:33 PM
Banned

I have to add that I thought S/F/C's went from the S/F end to the front spring mount!

I am not up on yours, but my cheap Jegs did and I too had to trim my hard as frozen Hockey Punk poly bushings by hand too!

pdq67

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 09:41 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

The leaf's front bracket fasteners required are;
6x 3/8-16x1-3/8 bolts with 1-1/8" conical washers (GM 3831982). These are not available new, but exactly the same bolt, 1-1/2 long (only +1/8") is through www.amkproducts.com. B-11963 $5 will buy a pkt of 4. and..
6x 3/8-16 J nuts. (GM 378276/3892755) AMK # B-12012, $5 buys 2. (If you buy elswhere, make sure these have the "CIP" stamp on them to ensure the better quality product.) All this hardware is grade 5.

I also note that you are missing the flat and lock washers from the front spring eye through bolt/s.
You need;
2x flat washers (GM 415919) B-11301 $3 buys 10.
2x lock washers (GM 103329) B-11346 $3 buys 15. and if you wish..
2x nuts (GM 9417614) B-10499 $3 buys 4.
The 2x 1/2-20x~5 through-bolts (GM 3892754) do not appear to be available, but I reckon they are as I'm sure they're included in the Camaro chassis bolt kits.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Last edited by BlackoutSteve; Jul 29th, 06 at 09:54 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 06, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Thank you very much!

Mike...

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 01:40 AM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Mike M,
Ever get the connector problem sorted out? I'm looking into a set of the Gloabal West and was curious.

Thanks
Virgil
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Not yet, my body guy was away for the last week in Reno at Hot August Nights, so nothing has happened on the car for about a week and a half (other than a bunch more parts arriving). Looks like the solution will be simply to switch them around, though. The funny thing is that will leave the Global West stickers on the inside of the car - they're only on one side of the connectors. If you're planning to buy anything from Global West I've heard, while their parts have an excellent reputation, their customer service isn't great and it can take a very long time to get anything shipped from them. Rather than dealing with them directly I ordered my SFC's and bushings from NPD and had them in about 2 days.

I'll let you know how it went once they're flipped around.

Mike...

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 06, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Just an update - the connectors still aren't on, ended up with more work to do on the underside of the car and the rear end is out (supposed to have the car on the suspension before welding them in), but they are switched around now and line up perfectly, the seem to hug the floor very nicely, don't hang down too low, I think I'll be very happy with them if I ever manage to get the car on the road.

Mike...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode