4 wheel disc - rears won't lock up - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

4 wheel disc - rears won't lock up

I just finished a 4 wheel drum to 4 wheel disc conversion. The master cylinder was already in the car when I bought it, it is from a vette with 4 discs, but not sure of the year. I am still using the original distribution block. EVERYTHING else is new, including every brake line. With the car up on jack stands, I can't get the rear wheels to lock up with the car in drive. Must I use an adjustable proportioning valve? Here's a list of what I have already eliminated:

Blead like hell (also blead the brakes a lot)
parking brake is adjusted
I have the right push rod behind the MS (fluid blows up both ports with the MS cover off)

Any ideas on what I should try next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 03:04 PM
David Pozzi

Re: 4 wheel disc - rears won't lock up

We need to know exactly what the brakes are from, a Corvette? What year? Stock? Aftermarket? Baer?

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Both the front and rear kits are aftermarket for a 67 Camaro, bought new on eBay, nothing fancy or expensive. I was under the impression both of these kits are close to original specs.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 05:33 PM
Senior Tech
Charles

try bleading the rear brakes at the flex line from the body to the rear axle. usually it is looped up and you could have an air bubble trapped up there in the rubber hose that's not making it's way down to the rear cylinders. you should get a solid stream of fluid out of all 4 cylinders.

BELIEVE IN YOUR DREAMS
1969 SS X55 NOR added RS all NOS sheetmetal, ground up resto. 24 year project and dream. optioned out the wazoo. in one thousand pieces, and coming together finally.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jul 31st, 06, 07:12 PM
David Pozzi

What calipers do they use? What are the rotor diameters?
Are the calipers stock iron, or aluminum like from a late Camaro or Corvette? It makes a huge difference, since the early iron calipers need a 1 1/8" bore master cyl, the later calipers need a 7/8" or so.

I still don't have enough info to help you.

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode