Front wheel bearings - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Front wheel bearings

Kind of an odd question...

Does anyone know what type of wheel bearings Ground Up sells? I ordered some from Rick's and they are imported Chinese ones. I've had great luck with Timken stuff and would like to stick with them if I can.

Also, am I overreacting? Chances are this car will see some open track days and I don't want to cheap out on bearings if it really matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 08:04 AM
Tech Team

Re: Front wheel bearings

I would also stick with Timken I have them on my car and have used them for years. Not a high $ item but it sucks when they go. I think Napa has them.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 10:57 AM
Banned

Mine are Toyo's from Japan and I have read where they are FINE!!

My first reaction after seeing the name "Toyo" on their boxes was, "Here I go again!!" But I didn't have to..............

pdq67

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 11:00 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Timken, SKF, and NSK are likely the most popular brands carried by the good resellers. The cups and cones from these manufacturers are interchangeable.

There is some Chinese stuff out there but I would recommend staying away from them. If you go into Lowes or Pep Boys check out the trailer section. They will have them packaged for trailer repairs since they are the same parts. Most are made by Peer, a Chinese manufaturer/importer. In an emergency, broken down in BFE, they will work fine as a temporary measure.

You can also buy the bearings from an idustrial distributor such as Motion Industries, Kaman Industrial Technologies, and Applied Industrial Technologies. These companies will likely be selling only Timken products since they dominate the industral aftermarket for tapered roller bearings. These sizes are also very commonly used in industry. I would stay away from McMaster Carr for these parts since they have a much different inventory and purchasing system.

You will need the following part numbers:

Inner: LM67010 cup, LM67048 cone. May be listed as LM67010/910 for a cup and cone assembly. Also known as a Set #6 or A6. You will need two of each.

Outer: LM11910 cup, LM11949 cone. May be listed as LM11910/949 for a cup and cone assembly. Also known as a Set #2 or A2. You will need two of each.

You will also need two pcs. Federal Mogul P/N 8705S inner hub seals. Timken now owns National Seal Company so there's a good chance you may get a "Timken" seal.

Paul,

Your's were Koyo's, who is owned by Toyota. They are a pretty good part as well. They are likely #2 or #3 in the U.S. for automotive aftermarket inch series tapers. The anti-dumping regulations for Japan and Sweden (NSK/Koyo and SKF) keep the prices artificially high in the United States, to the benefit of Timken but at the cost of the higher consumer prices.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CarlC; Aug 5th, 06 at 11:11 AM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

We have several 'budget' trade wholesalers here selling Chinese bearings..All makes of cars..imports etc
They are crap.
Stick with brands recomened above thu SEACO should be added to the list of good

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 03:16 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Steptoe,

Isn't SEACO a "down under" distribution channel, not a manufacturer?

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC
Timken, SKF, and NSK are likely the most popular brands carried by the good resellers. The cups and cones from these manufacturers are interchangeable.

There is some Chinese stuff out there but I would recommend staying away from them. If you go into Lowes or Pep Boys check out the trailer section. They will have them packaged for trailer repairs since they are the same parts. Most are made by Peer, a Chinese manufaturer/importer. In an emergency, broken down in BFE, they will work fine as a temporary measure.

You can also buy the bearings from an idustrial distributor such as Motion Industries, Kaman Industrial Technologies, and Applied Industrial Technologies. These companies will likely be selling only Timken products since they dominate the industral aftermarket for tapered roller bearings. These sizes are also very commonly used in industry. I would stay away from McMaster Carr for these parts since they have a much different inventory and purchasing system.

You will need the following part numbers:

Inner: LM67010 cup, LM67048 cone. May be listed as LM67010/910 for a cup and cone assembly. Also known as a Set #6 or A6. You will need two of each.

Outer: LM11910 cup, LM11949 cone. May be listed as LM11910/949 for a cup and cone assembly. Also known as a Set #2 or A2. You will need two of each.

You will also need two pcs. Federal Mogul P/N 8705S inner hub seals. Timken now owns National Seal Company so there's a good chance you may get a "Timken" seal.

Paul,

Your's were Koyo's, who is owned by Toyota. They are a pretty good part as well. They are likely #2 or #3 in the U.S. for automotive aftermarket inch series tapers. The anti-dumping regulations for Japan and Sweden (NSK/Koyo and SKF) keep the prices artificially high in the United States, to the benefit of Timken but at the cost of the higher consumer prices.
Wow Carl, thanks for the great reply!

The stuff I have is "PTC" Power Train Component brand. Branded out of Ohio but made in China. I think I'm going to return it for better quality stuff.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 06, 09:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Ste
Quote:
ptoe,

Isn't SEACO a "down under" distribution channel, not a manufacturer?
Yeah, stand corrected...and they are expensive to lol

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 06, 07:00 AM
Banned

Carl,

They were cheap enough to me when I got them.

Go figure? I got them from O'Reilley's(Sp?)...

pdq67

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 06, 05:24 PM
Tech Team

i purchased an aftermarket front disc kit with "ntn" u.s.a. bearings,are these a quality bearing??
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 06, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by built4spd
i purchased an aftermarket front disc kit with "ntn" u.s.a. bearings,are these a quality bearing??
Yes.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 06, 07:52 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Years ago NTN purchased all of the Federal Mogul and BCA plants, so if it says NTN USA, it came from one of those plants. It will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode