Long or short pitman arm - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 06, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Long or short pitman arm

On my 69 I have started to buy the parts to do the 3rd gen quick ratio swap. I am a little confused about what would be the best pitman arm. My steering arms are the long ones. They measure about 4 1/2" from the hole were the tie rod attaches and the hole were the steering arm is bolted on. I am trying to keep the steering from being twitchy. Should I use the short or long pitman arm. Also I have already replaced the idler arm to the new moog part. I know it is not quite the same as the stock part(Just thought I would add that).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 06, 06:53 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Long or short pitman arm

short.

The long steering arms and short pitman arm combo slows the steering as much as possible.
I find it the perfect combo with the thridgen box. It's 2.5 turns lock to lock, and not at all twitchy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 06, 06:59 PM
Senior Tech

LONG!!

I run the new long pitman arm (5.8") K6582 and the long steering arms (4.5" bolt to bolt) and I have no problems with twitchyness. I LOVE my steering just how it is. Keep in mind not only are you getting a whole new box with no slop but you are also getting a less power assisted more road feel steering and so any twitchyness or slop you might have felt before will be history.

http://69camaro.nextmill.net/steering.html

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thank you guys for responding. With both of you having good luck it looks like either length pitman arm works well with the long steering arms. I had read post about cars about running about to run off into the ditch with just a slight movement of the steering wheel. I am hoping to get it right the first time.

Last edited by Wild phil; Aug 11th, 06 at 06:29 PM. Reason: corrected
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 06:30 PM
Banned

Thumbs up Re: Long or short pitman arm

Look, the stock fast ratio '67 option manual steering deal used the long arm and the short spindle arms and my car will turn a 90 degree corner in one turn of my steering wheel!

Couldn't parallel park it at all with my CRAGAR deep dish chrome reverse on the front, but at speed, like above the LEGAL limits by a bunch, it was a dream!!

pdq67

PS., mine is lock to lock at the S/F stops at 3.5 turns!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode