my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 10th, 06, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

Every bump I hit scares the crap out of people. The rear has no give. Here is a few pics.

I would like to go to a 68 set up with staggerd shocks.

What should I do first?

http://

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 01:41 AM
Senior Tech

Re: my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

i would start by taking out those shocks, the lower mounts are too high and they might be bottoming out

and i want to ask what happened and why are they like that?

if the test drive is better i would just get a correct set of shocks and mount them in the shock plate the correct way
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 05:53 AM
Senior Tech
Matt Jones

New rubber bushings would really help.

Matt Jones
Lead Mechanical Engineer
Art Morrison Ent. Inc.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech

I'm with bird on this one. Depending on which shocks those are, they are probably bottoming out internally long before the suspension gets to max travel. If they are 68-69 Camaro multi-leaf shocks, the lower ends are mounted about 3 to 4 inches above where they'd be with correct lower anchor plates, and that would be enough to not give them much compression before they bottom.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Red face Re: my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird
i would start by taking out those shocks, the lower mounts are too high and they might be bottoming out

and i want to ask what happened and why are they like that?

if the test drive is better i would just get a correct set of shocks and mount them in the shock plate the correct way

I dont know what those rear springs are from its been alot of years, my sister put them in when she owned the car (changing from mono leaf to multi). So anyway my mechanic put in the BB and I went to 15" rims with p275 tires on the back. The rear fender lip was hitting the tire so he got them re-arched a couple of inches. Then if I remember correctly I bought new shocks and he had to make some homemade extensions (if you look at the pic thats what it looks like to me).

From what I read, the 67 rear end shock plates sit lower because they are designed for mono leaf. When you put on multi leafs you have to add extentions (correct me if I am wrong).
But it does feel like its bottoming with a loud boom when you go over a speed bump.

67Camaro 396BB 750Holley, edlebrock performer,280isky,3.42 posi, turbo 350,stage 2 shift kit, 2800 stall, MSDready to run distributor, headers, 2.5"exhaust, Hotchkis(1.5"/2"drop).(orig.Deep water blue/light blue dlx inter, v8 column shift/bench seat)

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 11th, 06 at 04:47 PM.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 04:14 PM
Banned

Well, it look's like just maybe the stock, '67 lower perches are cut off so they don't hit the inside of the tire and rim! (OR they did at one time?????)..

What is your rear wheel backspacing b/c I bet it is too deep to be able to run shocks mounted where they should be UNLESS you run 17" rims!

17" rims allow stock mounted shocks to be inside the bowl of the rims!

Mine are that way now!

If not, get new lower mounts and install new shocks like stock and I figure that you will be good to go...

pdq67

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Question Re: my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67
Well, it look's like just maybe the stock, '67 lower perches are cut off so they don't hit the inside of the tire and rim! (OR they did at one time?????)..

What is your rear wheel backspacing b/c I bet it is too deep to be able to run shocks mounted where they should be UNLESS you run 17" rims!

17" rims allow stock mounted shocks to be inside the bowl of the rims!

Mine are that way now!

If not, get new lower mounts and install new shocks like stock and I figure that you will be good to go...

pdq67
mine are 15x8 ralleys from a corvette I believe. Your right it does look like the mounts are cut off the shock plates.

Its quite the mess back there lol.

Well... if the car was a 68' it would be much more simple.

...I understand that I should have 68' rear end shock plates (for multi leaf) and stagger the new 68' shocks that I will buy. I also would like to check what kind of leaf springs they are...but what about the trunk mounting area, I read that the hole will not line up with the staggerd shock setup?

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 11th, 06 at 04:53 PM.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

okay, after reading Mr. Pozzies site I discovered that I have a multi leaf rear end with 67' mono shock plates. My mechanic modified them just as the site says for the added length. The problem is I still have a loud thud when I go over speed bumps and stuff like that. Could it be my springs are too stiff?
Should I try to drive it with the shocks removed to see if it is the reason for bottoming? (shocks are monroe-matic plus PL 10LA1J if that helps)

I need help!!

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 11th, 06 at 10:41 PM. Reason: new info
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 10:56 AM
Senior Tech
Rob

Can you bounce the back of the car at all just sitting in the driveway enough to see if something is hitting? Just use a couple of 2x4's to make a speed bump and try going over it with and without the shocks on so you don't have to drive it far that way.

Rob Rice

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

thanks Rob, I pushed on the rear of the car and it seems normal and firm with no unusual bounce and no thud.

I will put my engine back together in the next week ( I just painted the engine bay area) so I will do the speed bump test then. I have some real speed bumps at the school behind my house.

I wonder what method there is to check if the shock is for mono or multi leaf?

Does it look like my mechanic welded the shock plate the right height as according to what David Pozzie's site says?

post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Get a new mechanic. Your mounts are in upside down, the lower shock mount should be about 3" below the spring, not above it. Total shock travel on a first generation camaro is about 7", so if your shock mount is 2" above the spring, your only going to have 2" or less of travel in compression. The only time you need shock extenders is if you have some seriously HD rear springs that raise the rear end of the car above the stock height, you can't use them (the shocks and extenders) to raise the rear of the car. You also can't install staggered shocks on a 67 Camaro, because the upper shock mounts in the trunk floor are in the same location on each side of the car The 68 and 69 upper shock mounts are mounted in different locations in the trunk floor to support the staggered mounts on the axle.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:01 PM
Senior Tech

This is a pic of my 67. Maybe this will help. You can see where the shock mounts sort of.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamJam
This is a pic of my 67. Maybe this will help. You can see where the shock mounts sort of.

Thanks Mark C, I think if you compare the pics you will see that my mechanic has cut the shock mount and possibly used the eye up top. Notice the rivet holes with RamJams (great shot) stock pic. So the question for now is do I have the shock mount modified to the right spot? I think it might be a couple inches too high but I'm just guessing.

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 13th, 06 at 08:27 AM.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 10:12 PM
Senior Tech

Lightbulb Re: my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

John,

I drew this up for you. This should work. You will have to measure to get the holes and size right. I'll get you a measurement from inside hole to where your new hole will be. I'd make or get it made the same thickness or thicker than the original bracket.

You have to figure out the measurement for how high the new shock hole will have to be for multi-leafs. Or maybe somebody here with a 68-69 5 leaf bracket can give you the measurement if that will work for 67.

Pass side bracket. Looking from under door.

1967 Camaro coupe Deluxe interior LT-1 350 w/ 4spd. M-21 trans and 12 bolt rear.

post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Johnny

Lightbulb Re: my rear suspension is like a chuck wagon

thanks RamJam,... I thought to look at the classic catalog, and shock extenders for a conversion extend the shocks 2". I think if I could get the length from the bottom of the 67' shock plate, to the center of the eye where the shock attatches, and then add 2", I will know where my modified shock plate hole should be.

I hope that makes sense.lol- and if mine are not in the right spot I'm gonna get off my wallet and buy the 68' shock plates from detroit spring.

400bird I think got it right from the start saying that the mounts are too high and it may be bottoming out.

Last edited by johnny67; Aug 12th, 06 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode