Front spring help ASAP!!! - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Exclamation Front spring help ASAP!!!

I put new springs in my 1969 Camaro and I know they are not seated right. Someone said there is a sight or a reference hole for the spring coil to be pointed at you. My question is where is this at and can I see the spring without taking the ball joints back apart?
Car is up in air now and need help ASAP
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:35 AM
Senior Tech
Carl

Re: Front spring help ASAP!!!

The pigtails on each end of the spring seat into a matching depression both in the lower A-arm and the upper spring seat. If memory serves, on the lower A-arm the pigtail seat is inboard. You can visually see if the spring is correctly seated.

For the upper seat, there is a hole in the subframe under the upper A-frame mount. It is difficult to find and see. The hole is at the end of spring pigtail. The spring must be visible and flush with the bottom of the hole or else it is not seated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:42 AM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

So it's possible that the spring can be seated correct in the lower arm but not on the upper arm? How would you fix that? By turning the spring? Would the lower then be not seated right?

I might have the same problem because my car sits 1 inch higher on one side then the other.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Thanks...Rat
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 01:24 PM
Senior Tech
Carl

Yes. The only safe and practical way to fix it is to break apart the lower ball joint and verify the spring alignment. You should also be able to look up into the frame spring seat to see if it is placed correctly. This usually requires some laying-on-your-back acrobatics to get a good view.

Typically, if the spring is placed correctly in the lower A-arm, and then the A-arm is lifted into position, the spring should come pretty close to lining up. Likely it will fall into place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Tim

Got the drivers side done. I have 205/55/16 Torque Thrust II's on it. By measuring the center of fender lip to top or rim I have about 6 1/2". Measuring the passenger side which I haven't done yet, it measures 7 7/8".
I still need to tighten and re-torque everything and put in shock. I bounced drivers side front fender up and down about 10 good times and the spring must have really found its seat because it popped a little. I still think I should have left the original 6 cyl. springs in it because I still think it sits a little too high...but not like the passenger side....I guess I'll just have to put a little more air in the airshocks to even it out a little more...
Couldn't really see anything really with the sight hole....guess I'm not all that flexible being 6'3" and 375+ lbs....The Camaro is really a car for my wife to enjoy...Her Pride and Joy!!!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 06:20 PM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedugan
So it's possible that the spring can be seated correct in the lower arm but not on the upper arm? How would you fix that? By turning the spring? Would the lower then be not seated right?

I might have the same problem because my car sits 1 inch higher on one side then the other.
I don't think that's right. The frame has a groove and a sight hole for the upper end of the spring, but the lower A arm does not. At least from what I recall.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 06, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Send a message via Yahoo to thedugan

That's my point how can it be right on the bottom/top but not on the top/bottom. Just trying to figure this out so I can fix my problem.

-Doug
68 RS/SS Conv
67 Coupe
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 06, 06:25 AM
Senior Tech
Jim

Send a message via Yahoo to go2fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedugan
That's my point how can it be right on the bottom/top but not on the top/bottom. Just trying to figure this out so I can fix my problem.
You align the top and bottom goes where ever it lands.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 06, 06:03 PM
Team Member
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2fast
You align the top and bottom goes where ever it lands.
Correct - the spring only seats at the top; the hole in the recess in the lower control arm isn't for spring seating, it's just a drain hole for water.

JohnZ
CRG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode