67 ss 396 subframe - Team Camaro Tech
Brakes, Suspension & Steering Conversion questions, Steering & Handling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 06, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

67 ss 396 subframe

I've started working on an original ss396 car. Unfortunetly the front subframe is bent, and I've been considering replacing it versus paying to have it straightened. I would like to keep the car as correct and original as possible. I'm trying to identify how my bigblock frame would differ from a standard frame used to replace it. Mine has got the F41 suspension stuff, BB springs, and the lower control arms etc. I think the center link may be different as well. Any experts out there that could help me out in making sure I'll have the right stuff on my car? Would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 09:13 AM
Senior Tech

Re: 67 ss 396 subframe

Just try to find yourself another 67 subframe and transfer your stuff over to it , I think the 67 subframe is just a bit different than the 68 ,69 something in the front frame horns where the bumper bolts on .
Mark .

pictures can be viewed at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 09:19 AM
Team Member
Christropher

From the CRG: http://www.camaros.org/TopicsofResearch.shtml

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRG
Subframe style: A mid-year change was instituted for '67 Camaro subframes. Large holes (about 3-inch dia.) were placed on the inside surface of each front frame "horn" to provide access to bumper bracket nuts.

1967 Subframe Horn Change
(Click image to expand)

The earlier frames used a slot in the outer surface of the frame horn to hold a J-nut (clip nut) for the bumper bracketry. The transition period for this change appears be circa November/December of 1966; we are attempting to gather more data to further refine the implementation date. An interesting note is that some frames have been found with the large hole on one frame rail and none on the other rail. Apparently such frames were built during the transition period from one style to the other, while making use of all existing frame stock.

Christropher

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...in pieces still.

MrDanB - "Don't worry about Mr.Wilcox...He has that incurable disease of thinking that they only made the Camaro in '67
"

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 23rd, 06, 04:30 PM
Banned

That and your BB frame mounts and cross member are different than a SB S/F.

The cross member b/c they sit over right at an 1" to the pass. side for more steering gearbox cleanance is all.

pdq67

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 01:00 AM
Senior Tech

just to clarify what everyone has said

any 67-69 f-body sub or 68-72? x-body (nova) subframe will work there are minor differences as shown above, all you need to do is swap over all you parts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 06, 06:40 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

How bent and where?
Paying to have it straightened might cost considerably less than attempting to ship a replacement.

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode