Team Camaro Tech banner

Too Loud!

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Snatchin'gears 
#1 ·
Hello! On my ongoing 68 project, I recently had headers and a flowmaster American Thunder exhaust put on with Delta 40 muffs. It sounds GREAT in town, no problems, but on the interstate, it's just a little too loud to have a cell phone conversation or listen to the radio. Would moving up to the 50 series help, or are there some things I could do to the car to make the interior more quiet? It's a daily driver, not a show car. I did put in new carpet with a new pad under the carpet. Is there a treatment for the trunk that works? This is where most of the sound seems to be coming from. Thanks!!

#2 ·
I recommend the Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers instead, they are much quieter and only make noise when you accelerate. Very good for freeway driving, I can talk on my cell phone with the windows down!!
As for treatment, you should dynomat the whole interior floor inside the cabin and get the pad that goes between the back seat and the trunk. As for the trunk, I plan to clean it up and lay a few coats of that Truck Bed Liner stuff inside to give it a nice finish.

Hedmann Headers, Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers, Flowmaster Mandrel Bent Exhaust Pipes

#3 ·
The only inconvenient with the 50 Delta Flow is their case lenght, 17" vs 13". The under car space is perfect for the 40 series, even tho some here have them installed in their Camaros.

#4 ·
Don't feel bad. I got rid of the flowmasters due to noise. Sitting in the car it was louder than standing outside the car. They sound great it's just the attention attraction I didn't like cops, neighbors, and car alarms being set off on the side of the road. Running turbo mufflers swapped in now and it less noise. I think they are slowly getting blown out though.

#6 ·
Flowmaster sells the pipes designed for the mufflers to be mounted on the sites of the driveshaft, its $99 from Summit

FLO-15801 Chevrolet: 1967-81 Camaro/Firebird, 1962-74 Nova, 2 1/2 in. dual rear exit, tailpipe kit $99.95
WLK-17734 Super Turbo, 2 1/2 in. offset inlet/offset outlet, muffler $34.95 QTY 2
Labor : $120

So for $280 I am very happy with my choice.

#7 ·
What's this talking on the cell phone while driving
Those flowmasters are a safety devise if you ask me. You have to pull over to have your conversation. ;) ;)

Must be me but I run the cheapest flows available on my Camaro, I have Flow tech Shorty headers and Turn downs from the mufflers at the rear axle, but mine is not that noisy at least to me. At cruise speeds it sounds good and at idle it has the rumpy sound. It sounds alot faster than it really is. I drive mine daily, rain sleet or snow and it not bad at all. Could be because i don't have much cam or much of anything else but a stock 327 210 H/P engine.

#9 ·
I've got a pair of the Flowmaster big block 3 chamber mufflers on my 1991 SS454 pickup and it's actually too quiet most people say. There is no annoying resonance or anything. I'm not sure exactly which model # they are, but I'll try to find out. I've heard some big block Camaros with the Super Turbos that were not too loud either.

#11 ·
Two things. If it's two loud it's not you are too old because you've lost most of your hearing. So it must be the young that it's too loud for :D
The official government and army answer is wear ear plugs.
Corson how's the tinkering going? Back in the 60's a pair of glasspacks with straight tubes exiting to the rear and not turned down would keep most of the noise away from the car. Gotta watch out for cops getting behind you doing that. Patrolmen seem to have a lower pain threshold for noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.