Team Camaro Tech banner

Back-up Lights

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  X77D80 
#1 ·
The backup lights on my '69 Camaro with M20 are always on? Is the adjustment underneath the car by the linkage or in the interior under the console? How do you adjust it?

Thanks.

#2 ·
There is an adjustment underneath where the switch is bolted onto the bracket.

Make sure the actuating rod is doing its job when in reverse and out of reverse. No rod? I made one from a metal clothes hangar.

The switch has slotted holes for adjustment. Back your car up to the garage door at dusk, jack up the side and place jack stands underneath. Turn key on, take 5/16 inch wrench, crawl underneath and adjust for lights off in neutral. Check to make sure they come on in reverse. Job done.

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

#7 ·
The backup light switch on a '69 is on the steering column inside the car. That's one of the reasons for the extra linkage. The switch could be bad, or as in the case with mine, the linkage was missing at one time and someone hooked them up to a toggle switch. I'm not positive but I think they're two pink wires. My car's 10 blocks away so I can't look. The Tremec 5-speed I put in mine has a backup switch built in which solved that problem.

------------------
'69 RS Camaro
355 5-speed 4.11

#11 ·
1 2RUN and Mr C are correct. Get way down at the base of the steering colomn and feel for that white plastic switch located on top of the sterring column. It's held in place with two little screws and two pick wires connect to it. Chances are the switch is worn out. Good luck!

------------------
- John -
69 Z/28
69 Z11
Camaro Generations Member
WCA Member

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.