Team Camaro Tech - View Single Post - heat soak?
Thread: heat soak?
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 00, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
mike brown
Senior Tech

i seem to be experiencing heat soak in my 69 ss 396 camaro. it has stock exhaust and the starter was supposed rebuilt in '96 with very few miles put on it since then (less than 3000?). i installed a small body hei unit and redid the wiring between it and the solenoid when i put it in (having problem before dist. replacement). it has a msd blaster 2 coil. it starts right up when cold. if it does not get too warm, 10 mins of running, it will still start right up. if i go longer than that, nothing happens. turn the key and the lights light up, but no sound at all (no clicking or anything). if i wait awhile it will start right up with no problem, seems to take less time if i raise the hood. i have not had the battery checked. the cable looks fairly new from the battery to the starter, but i have not checked it either, nor any ground wires. my ? is what procedure should i follow?
get the battery checked, check the wiring and get the starter checked? i would like to just replace the solenoid with a Delco solenoid and get a "Glove heat shield" from the welding supply store and make a quickly heat shield with it. will this fix my problem or will i have to go to the ford relocation program or buy a whole new mini starter? i would like to leave it as stock as possible. also should any good auto elec. shop or an autozone be able to check everything for me before i go to replacing everything?

------------------
To see a pic of my car, click here... pages.prodigy.net/mtbmtb/rf396ss.jpg

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome