What Backspacing Do I Need To "Tuck"? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

What Backspacing Do I Need To "Tuck"?

I plan on running 17x"s up front and 18"s out back. Since this is the place to go for Cammy stuff I figure there has to be a few of you that know this.... I'll be going with the Global West arms up front w/ the qa1's w/ the Wilwood discs up front. I want the narrower up front and wider out back. What width and backspacing would be necessary so that I have no wheel/tire sticking out of the fenders? Thanks.

"Never trust anything that bleeds for 7 days and doesnt die!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 08:14 PM
Senior Tech

Re: What Backspacing Do I Need To "Tuck"?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking but I'll give it a shot. If you are lowering 3 or more inches and you want the wheels to be "tucked' into the wheel wells you can run a 7x7 in the front with 4.75 backspace and a 225/45-17 tire (much bigger will fit but no "tucked " llook). In the rear you can run an 18x8 with 5" backspace and a 255/45-18 tire (again much bigger is possible). Hope this helps.

Jack
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks bud. That is EXACTLY what I was looking for Im assuming u speak from experience? got pics? thanks lol

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 07:26 PM
Senior Tech

These are 18s and 20s but you'll get the idea. Wheel widths and tire section widths are what I quoted you. Take a look. http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com/gallery/96CamaroZ28

Jack
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:13 PM

Smile Re: What Backspacing Do I Need To "Tuck"?

Fwiw, my drum-braked car with stock 14" x 6" steel wheels w/ 3.75" b/s is a start b/c they "tuck" stock so set your outer spacing at 2.25" and you WILL NOT rub the outer wheel well lips!!

3.75" + 2.25" = 6"!!!

You put a 7" rim on her and hold the 3.75" b/s that usually is the aftermarket 3.5" instead and you will move the outer part of the rim out and hit the lip!!!

7" - 3.5" = 3.5".............

Been there, done that b/c that's just what my old front 14" x 7" Fenton Slotted Mags are and my tire shoulders would get cut at an extreme body roll and bounce!!

pdq67

Last edited by pdq67; Feb 10th, 07 at 08:45 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
Fwiw, my stock 14" x 6" steel wheels w/ 3.75" b/s is a start b/c they "tuck" stock so set your outer spacing at 2.25" and you WILL NOT rub the outer wheel well lips!!

3.75" + 2.25" = 6"!!!

You put a 7" rim on her and hold the 3.75" b/s that usually is the aftermarket 3.5" instead and you will move the outer part of the rim out and hit the lip!!!

7" - 3.5" = 3.5".............

Been there, done that b/c that's just what my old front 14" x 7" Fenton Slotted Mags are and my tire shoulders would get cut at an extreme body roll and bounce!!

pdq67

I was thinking about using some of my friends old Hallibrand wheels and having them chromed but decided against it after seeing a few of the dropped cammys that tuck big hoops. I was discouraged for awhile due to reading about how people have to roll their fenders and such. I'd rather stay away from chopping or hacking at the original sheet metal Wheels and suspension I dont mind since it is something that can be reversed to original just as easily as it was done Since I read your post I guess that leave's me with no excuse

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 9th, 07, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JV69z/28rs View Post
These are 18s and 20s but you'll get the idea. Wheel widths and tire section widths are what I quoted you. Take a look. http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com/gallery/96CamaroZ28

do you know if there was any fender work involved? that looks sweeeeet

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 08:49 AM

jsyi,

Please read me again b/c I came back and added "drum-braked car"!!!

I mention this b/c the wheel mount surfaces for the drum cars are like 9/16" per side narrower than both the old stock, two-piece and cast one-piece rotor hub disc set-ups!!

This dimension is called "Joe" b/c Joe over on Team Chevelle figured this out years ago...

David Possi's great site has a pic of the difference "Joe" make's if you want to go to his site and look.. He has both hubs side-by-side...............

pdq67

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdq67 View Post
jsyi,

Please read me again b/c I came back and said drum-braked car!!!

I mention this b/c the wheel mount surfaces for the drum cars are like 9/16" per side narrower than both the old stock, two-piece and cast one-piece rotor hub disc set-ups!!

This dimension is called "Joe" b/c Joe over on Team Chevelle figured this out years ago...

pdq67

Therefore meaning your previous post was in regards to drumed cars right? I have no problems with this as I will be running drums for a bit till I have enough to save up for the wilwoods. My only question though is are discs WORTH the 6-700 for the front setup? No racing will be involved. Just a "cruiser". Thanks.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 10:31 AM
Senior Tech

Exclamation Re: What Backspacing Do I Need To "Tuck"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsyi View Post
do you know if there was any fender work involved? that looks sweeeeet
Yes I know thw car - - climbed all over it to look - car was lowered more than 3" and there was NO rubbing at all, Disc brakes on all 4s if you need to know.

Jack
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 10th, 07, 10:20 PM

jsyi,

My old drum braked car was down right scarey hauling her down from speed in an emergency!!

My wife would get to screaming as I stabbed my brakes and down-shifted all while my slapper-bars were reverse slapping as I headed for the shoulder!!

The only other thing I might have done was open my door and drag my left foot on the pavement...

Bad, Bad, Bad!!

I'm expecting my 13" and 11.75" "pdqCBB" setup to haul her down by flat-spotting my tires now......

pdq67

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 07, 08:29 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Brakes first. If you go to a larger diameter tire over what you're running now, expect those drum brakes to work worse. And like pdq says, they don't work really well now...

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 12:49 PM
Senior Tech

For a tucked look, I would run a 17x7 with a 4.5 to 4.75 inch back space. And an 8" wheel on the rear with a 5" backspace, or a 9" wheel with a 5.5". Much largher is possible, like the picture I've attached of my 69, but this will "tuck". Brakes are a good upgrade to do first if you are currently running drums. I suggest Baer Brakes, which we are a distributor for.
Let me know if we can help with wheels, or brakes, or both!

My Camaro with 18x8's and 20x8.5's.
4.75" backspace front, and 5.125" backspace rear.
245/40/18 and 275/35/20 rear Nitto 555's

Jon
Driverz Inc.com
"The Custom Wheel Experts"
1-866-694-5940
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 07, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Jon View Post
For a tucked look, I would run a 17x7 with a 4.5 to 4.75 inch back space. And an 8" wheel on the rear with a 5" backspace, or a 9" wheel with a 5.5". Much largher is possible, like the picture I've attached of my 69, but this will "tuck". Brakes are a good upgrade to do first if you are currently running drums. I suggest Baer Brakes, which we are a distributor for.
Let me know if we can help with wheels, or brakes, or both!

My Camaro with 18x8's and 20x8.5's.
4.75" backspace front, and 5.125" backspace rear.
245/40/18 and 275/35/20 rear Nitto 555's
PM'd you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode