18's on a stock 69 big block vert - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 07, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Question 18's on a stock 69 big block vert

I am restoring a 69 396 vert and I would like to put 18" chrome Foose Nitrous rims and BFG KDW NT tires on it. Can anyone tell me what will fit on a stock 69 vert? The car has brand new big block springs and new leaf springs. The front has disc and the rear has drum brakes. I would like to put on the largest tires that will fit without rubbing in front and in back. I have spoken to several dealers and most seem to have a different opinion about what will work. I thought I would check with the experts on Team Camaro and I'm sure that I will get the correct answer. Please only respond if you have real world experience. I need to know so I don't waste a bunch of money on rims and tires that don't fit.

Here is what I have been quoted: front- 255/45/18 Rear- 285/40/18. These sizes seem too big. The look I am going for is as close to stock (refering to the sidewall thickness) as possible. I am not looking for a razor thin sidewall. I don't think that looks good on a first gen. The rims I think should be 18 x 8.5 for front and rear. Also not sure of the offset or back spacing.

Also, Anybody with the sizes I mentioned or anything close with 18's please post a picture of your car.

Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks Team Camaro for such a great site and great people that use it!!

Bob

Last edited by 69rs/ssconvert; Mar 11th, 07 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 07, 07:22 PM
Senior Tech

Re: 18's on a stock 69 big block vert

Backspace will be critical, especially on a 69. You can do a search here for "backspace", or check out the sticky at the top of the tire forum. I remember 4.5 inches being optimal out back, maybe 4.75.

Both the front and rear size you posted will give a tire approx. 27 inches in diameter, with about 4.5 inches of sidewall. 27" is taller than OE.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 07, 07:25 PM
Senior Tech

Bob -

I just ran a search on "Foose Nitrous" here, and got quite a bit of info. Some of the discussion is about 20s, but the backspace discussion in those threads is still helpful.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thanks Eric. I'll do the search again.

Bob
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 08:31 AM
Senior Tech
Al

I'm going through the same process with my 69 convert, but I bought 17" wheels. The consensus on wheel width and backspacing is: 8" front wheel with 4.75 BS, and 9.5" rear wheel with 5.5 BS. I searched tire size pretty extensively, and asked a lot of questions. The biggest rear tire people seem to fit without problems is a 275/40, but some have reported a need to either trim wheel opening lip or run a spacer. Others have reported no problems. 255/40 seems to be trouble free. On the fronts, 245/45 is the biggest I've seen reported, but most are going with 235/45.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Al, Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. I am assuming that 18's would be the same as 17's regarding back spacing. I think that I will stick with the safe bet and go the trouble free route since I just had the car completely done. New sheet metal almost all around and new floors.

Nice car by the way! I am also adding the RS option to my car. Did you have to make extensive mode to the front to make it work? I am going with the DSE kit and it looks like I will need to modify the inner fender well extensions so the motor can link up with the doors. Did you use this kit or did you stay with the vacuum system?

Thanks again for the info. and anyone else out there please let me know if you have any other info.

Bob
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 05:43 PM
Senior Tech
Al

The rim width and backspacing will apply to 18's also. I'm not sure on the tire sizes - but I think they apply as well.

I did the RS thing last summer. It's basically off with the old and on with the new. You have to bolt on adapter brackets to your fenders for the headlight buckets, and you have to drill a large hole in each inner fender for the bellcranks to pass through. Also a fair amount of bending, tweaking, shimming and adjusting. It was actually kinda fun, though. Not difficult at all.

I did my own "home brewed" electric motors. Another guy also came up with a different way to do them. You can read about them here:https://www.camaros.net/forums/showth...968#post645968

Or you could buy the DSE or the Retro Electric kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thanks again Al. I have already bought the DSE kit but I haven't got into the install yet as I am still trying to put the entire car back together. I did look through the directions and they look very self explanatory. I also converted a small block ss car to a 396 with a turbo 400. My car is also a convertible. It seems that nothing seems to fit the first time and needless to say I am cutting, tweaking, and modifying just about everything!! :-(

Bob
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 07, 06:04 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Robert

Nothing to contribute to this thread but I checked out a Zo6 'vette today, 325/30/19 on the rear. Man those meats were huge.

Robert

355ci 10:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Comp Mag 280H, Performer RPM, 700r4 (2000 stall), 3.55 posi A/C PS PDB Hotchkis

369ci 10.3:1, 64cc Edelbrocks, Voodoo 276/284, Performer RPM, Holley 650DP ...T56 Magnum, 3.73 Moser 12 bolt
TC member #18
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thank you for your resoponses. I ended up purchasing Foose Nitrous chrome rims 18x8.5 with 4.5" back space and BFG KDW NT 235/40/18 front and 255/45/18 rear. I hope to have a pic for everyone soon.

Bob
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 03:08 PM
Senior Tech

definetly lets see some pics
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 07:35 PM
Senior Tech

I used 18 x 8 ARE Hopsters on my 69. 5" bs on the front with factory discs, 5.25" bs rears with drums with no problems. If using rear disc setup you could go to 5.5 bs. My car is lowered 1.5" with no rubbing problems. Good luck.

'69 RS/SS X-22 M21 Lemans Blue #'s matching. '99 HD Night Train
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Bob

Thanks for the info Big Sky. I hope to receive the rim and tire package this upcoming week. The car is still being assembled so it won't be on the road right away but I will definitely mount them on the car right away to check for clearances.
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode