Cleaning Torque Thrust TTO rims... - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 07, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Red face Cleaning Torque Thrust TTO rims...

Guys... I have a small issue. I Bought TTO Torque Thrusts about three months ago. I set them in the garage until the weather warmed up a bit.... and found out that the cat got in the garage and decided to piss on one of them awhile back. To my astonishment.... it appears there is some staining or minor pitting on the rim from this. I heard that easy off oven cleaner works great for cleaning these rims... but wanted to touch base here and see what the consensus is. I appreciate any help.... and also have a cat free to good home..... lol.

Willy

Last edited by Big Willyz; Mar 14th, 07 at 05:26 PM. Reason: typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 07, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Cleanind Torque Thrust TTO rims...

PLS delete... double post
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 07, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech

I see this ALL the time, it can't be cleaned. The finish is shot, so they'll need refinished. Cat/Dog pee is very corossive. I've actually seen both aluminum and steel rims eaten all the way through, given enough time.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 05:21 PM
Senior Tech

Stay away from the oven cleaner - too harsh. Run your finger nail over the pits. If you can feel them they're not coming out with any cleaner. Depending on how deep they are you can try a few things. The 1st thing you can try is the power ball and a paste wheel cleaner. I doubt that will do it. If you feel brave sand paper would be next - like you were trying to get a scratch out of paint. You can start off easy with something like 1000. If that doesn't do it you can get REAL brave and go in steps down to 320. You have to be carefull not to DIG into the surface that you will leave a trench behind. Then you work you way back up to 400 - 600 - 1000 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - then buff with the power ball. This will work but you need patience and you have to go easy. Little mistakes are a lot easier to fix than big mistakes. Of course you can always take it to a professional and have it repaired and repolished. It can't be worse than curb rash can it? Good Luck.

Jack
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 07, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Re: Cleaning Torque Thrust TTO rims...

Luckily... I have a 1 yr warranty on the rims... looks as if all I have to do is take them back to the dealer. The damage is pretty minor, you have to look twice to see it. I appreciate all the info guys.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 04:51 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

Why would that be covered under warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TCI Engineering equiped pro touring 1968 Camaro
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 09:32 PM
Senior Tech
Robert

Damn those Cats !! I agree with the sanding .. but i'd would start with 600 grit .. I think 400 would be to rough .
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 07, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Chris

Rims have a one year warranty on the finish. Best 25 bucks ive ever spent. Spent an hour today with heavy duty rubbing compound...it helped some, but the piting is too deep to remove without rubbing out machin work on the edges of the rim.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 07, 05:50 AM
Senior Tech
James

The Easy Off oven cleaner works on anything that is anodized... it takes off the clear anodizing on aluminum that is used to keep it bright... if the AL trim or piece is whitish looking then you can use easy off and remove the anodizing then polish it... the problem is that you will have to keep up with the polishing because now there is nothing to protect the Al from oxidizing...

James
"Collectin' Camaro's since only Rednecks Drove them"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode