Wrong size tires - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Send a message via AIM to softail02
Wrong size tires

I order KUMHO 275/40-17's for the 9.5'' TT2's I bought and when I got the tires and rims they mounted 255/45WR17 and the owner is said thats what I ordered and there nothing he is going to do. I ordered over the phone and after 2 weeks I even sent a email with what I ordered for statics on the tires and rims. I am not going to Vendor bash as its against forum rules but this company told me flat out there is nothing they will do. I even offered to pay to have these taken off and shipped back and they ship me the correct size but that wasn't going to work the owner was more worried about getting out of the shop for the weekend. So they lost a customer that spent over $1500 with them and I am stuck with tires i don't want. If you look at some of my other posting about tires you will see the Vendor I did business with. So if there is anyone out there looking for this size tire let me know. I will work out a fair price they are band new. Or if you have the same in 275/40 and want to run smaller. 255/45WR17

TT2
Front: 17x8 (4.75" backspacing)
Back: 17x9.5 (5.5" backspacing custom will take a few weeks to get)

Kumho ECSTA SPT
235/45WR17
275/40WR17

70 RS Pro-Street stiil have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 RS/SS EX wife's ( C**T) car lost cause my state sucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tahoe LTZ lost cause my state sucks
02 2500 crew LT Duramax FOR SALE
04 Fatboy sold to pay lawyer fees

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 12:45 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage
Re: Wrong size tires

Make sure you are dealing with the owner and not an employee. You just don't do almost 4000 ebay transactions with no bad and one neutral complaining about speed of shipping with an attitude like you were met with... Something isn't right!! You can even use your previous posts here to show that you wanted the 275's.

If you end up stuck with the 255's I'd suggest you run them. The difference in apearence on the 9.5" wide wheels is minimal and you'll have a tad more clearence...

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 01:58 PM
Senior Tech

you won't miss the 2 cm or width- in fact, as Dennis stated, you will actually have a bit more clearance.

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Send a message via AIM to softail02

Really I thought it WAs about 1/2 inch is thats the case I will run them.. Yes it was the owner Tom. I send 2 emails before I had to call them. Yes your right about the Feed back i didn't even look at it but yes they are doing something right. I could be a jackass and put a stop on my card but I have enough issues with someone stealing my card number and wiping 27k out of my checking account and now I have to fill out 1 forum for ever transaction.

Thanks guys if you recommend running them then I will I will still have to slam the rear end 2 inches. Any suggestion on the best way to lower the rear... I bought QA1 for the front.

Thanks guys you ROCK

70 RS Pro-Street stiil have

69 RS/SS EX wife's ( C**T) car lost cause my state sucks

07 Tahoe LTZ lost cause my state sucks
02 2500 crew LT Duramax FOR SALE
04 Fatboy sold to pay lawyer fees

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 07, 10:33 PM
Senior Tech

2cm- 20mm- is a little over 1/2".

you don't plan sincerity.
you have to make it up on the spot.

wanna hear about 20 years ago when i was too smart to know any better?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 05:51 AM
Senior Tech

I think you will be fine with the 255s - the 9.5 wheel makes the tire appear bigger. Read this thread I think you'll feel bigger.https://www.camaros.net/forums/showthread.php?t=102631

Jack
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 07:37 AM

I think three things may be going on here.

1. They can't resell tires as new that have been mounted b/c legally, they've been mounted and are now used.

2. Somebody sent you the wrong tires regardless and

3. If the BOSS won't make it right after you spending $1500 w/ him, he's basically saying that he know's he won't be selling you any more tires for a long time so in essence, screw you! You probably won't be back anyway..

I hope I'm wrong on the last point, but recently, since the WWW has cranked up, this tends to NOW be an accepted BUSINESS PRACTICE!!!

pdq67

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 09:17 AM
Senior Tech
Rex

It is his mistake and they should fix it. Also, take the width of the tire and divide by 25.4, that will convert to inches...it is about 3/4" inch difference, the rims will help some, but they might wear a little more in the middle. In my opinion, I live in Texas, so I have alot of them, you will miss the 3/4" on the rear of a car. Handling won't be much differenct, but looks.....If you paid with a credit card, call them. There is more then one way to skin a cat.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 10:33 AM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Rex - the 2 tire sizes are rated fit a 9.5" wide wheel. I doubt there would be any abnormal wear characteristic with a 255/45 on the 9.5" wheel. Per the Tire Rack "Spec's" on the 2 tires there is .9" section width difference with the 255/45 on a 8.5" wide wheel and the 275/40 on a 9.5" wide wheel. With the 255/45 on a 9.5" wheel the section width will increase just a bit. Section with is not tread width, that isn't disclosed in the spec's. As far as breaking traction goes the 255/45 is 26.1" tall and the 275/40 is 25.7" tall. The .4" height difference should offset any width difference because it alters the final rear ratio to the road.

Reality is unless the 275/40 is the perfect match for dead hooking off the line it really isn't going to matter either tire. If you can light up one you'll light up the other... Where it might make a difference is cornering but that's all about balance. With the 235/45's he's running up front the front end might plow a little with the wider 275's out back where the narrower 255's wouldn't be as sticky. This of course is all dependant on the rest of the cars suspension and just how dialed in (ballanced) the whole build is...

Looks wise I have parked right next to a '69 with 275/40 rears and I have 255/45's and from far enough back to see both cars rear tread you can't pick the wider tire from the narrower...

...Dennis

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 12:19 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

actually, I sell tires all day long. You are pulling the beads further out on a 255 then you are on a 275. Hell, I can pull a 235 out on a 8" rim. Would the wear be great, no, but they would wear.

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 01:20 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by trex70 View Post
actually, I sell tires all day long. You are pulling the beads further out on a 255 then you are on a 275. Hell, I can pull a 235 out on a 8" rim. Would the wear be great, no, but they would wear.
A 255/45 is rated to fit on a 9.5" wheel and a 235/45 is rated to fit on an 8" wheel. In fact if you look up a 235/45 Kumho ECSTA you'll see it will fit on a 7.5" to 9" wide wheel and 8" is ideal for it...

I understand what you are saying but you need examples that are not safe by manufactures spec's. Now streching a 235/45 onto a 9.5" wheel would be pushing things...

...Dennis

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 03:30 PM
Senior Tech

I know my 275/40 fits with the sidewall of the tire just a tiny bit larger than the 9.5 rim, protecting the rim from damage. I'm curious as to how the 255/45 fits on the same rim, if its protecting the rim from possible damage say when rubbing a curb. Also if the sidewall is perfectly vertical or if it slopes inwards at all.

1969 Camaro - GM 2003 Electron Blue
Beck Racing 383 cu in 465HP Engine - Sean Murphy Inductions Stage 2 Quadrajet
TCI Streetfighter 350 - 3.73:1 Posi 10 Bolt Rear - 12.6 sec qtr mile

and
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 03:54 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Brian - don't kid yourself, that small 40/45 series sidewall and the slight bulge isn't going to protect the rim of your wheel from even the lightest graze against a curb. Sadly I speak from experience... I have Nitto 235/45's on 8" wide wheels on the front. That's a 10.33" section width or about 1.15" of bulge on each side. I was lucky my Budnick only cost $50 to fix. When I scrapped the curb I was idling making a U-turn and hit so light the car didn't even stop or slow down. A 275/40 would only have about .75" of bulge on a 9.5" wheel...

...Dennis

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 07, 04:11 PM

Smile Re: Wrong size tires

I have my 225 and 255/45-17's BOTH on 8" wide rims now fine.

I checked to make darn sure that I had a bit of sidewall rubber past the rim for the 225's to protect them some from a curb!!!

And I ran my old L-60/14's that measured at a modern 298/53-14 on 9" rims fine...............

pdq67

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode