Who Sells The Best Rally Wheel Kit ? - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Team Member

Who Sells The Best Rally Wheel Kit ?

I saw a similar post and am looking for the same answer.
I want to order a 15x7 Rally kit with rings, but I'm not sure who to order them from. (I will be mounting my TA 2356015s on them)

First question I can't seem to find an answer to here via search:
What was the STOCK backspacing on the original YH (Camaro) Rally wheels ?
Was it 4 1/4 " ?

Now as far as vendors.....

Ground Up: I have had problems with their "exact reproduction" descriptions before. Their Camaro horns for instance are listed as exact reproductions. They are, just for a Corvette. Not confident in this dealer. Besides, if you're not happy you have to wait weeks for a refund CHECK. No credit card refunds.

Classic Industries: Expensive shipping, and they are using Cragar's repop wheels. Even the tech guy at Classic said the Cragars are notoriously out of round. They get returns all the time he said.

Rick's First Gen: This is where I am leaning. I found some positive statements by users here referring to the quality of the trim rings, but no quality statements about their wheels. Does the kit include their high quality repop trim rings (TR8R) or a cheaper alternative ?

NPD: I found some positive statements in searches here, but they offer only 4 1/2" backspacing. I think I want to stay with 4 1/4".

Suggestions ?.......Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 09:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member

Re: Who Sells The Best Rally Wheel Kit ?

you can also try www.thepartsplaceinc.com I bought two 15x8 Rally's from them. They have alot of stuff over there. Or you can try D&R Classic. They also have alot of stuff and their service is excellent www.drclassic.com

Both places are local for me. Both are very good. I use D&R more since it's a shorter drive and I was happy with them when I was buying stuff there way back in 1993.

1) 1969 Camaro RS 396 TH 400, 12 bolt 3:73 sold 1994
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2) 1984 Z28, 5.0 H.O. T-Tops, G92 3:73, sold 1994
3) 1988 5.7L IROC-Z, sold 1994
4) 1969 Camaro bought 2006, back on the road in 2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 09:50 AM
Senior Tech

Everything I just checked showed the YH 15x7 as 4.25, so you're correct.

"Best" is such a subjective thing... and will make your head hurt.

Year One sells the original style, hub centric GM rallys. They may even have a GM part number and be available through a local dealer, but I haven't got that far yet. The only problem with these is they are black, and must be painted or powder coated. I don't remember if Rick's carries the GM rallys.

Repro wheels like the Wheel Vintiques are not hub centric. For some folks, that's a problem. You can get hub centric rings to put over the hub/axle ends to make up the difference. I have had different Wheel Vintiques rallys over the years, and have never been impressed with how the paint holds up. They've also had QC issues, but I haven't bough any recently to know if that's been addressed. I just had a set of 15x7/15x8 here to trial fit on my car, and they were only a year old but needed paint already. It depends on how anal you are...

Rick's sales/tech folks have a listing of the individual parts in their "kits", so if you're leaning that way I'd just call and ask them to tell you which parts are in the kit. Then you'll know.

Eric
69 'vert project big block/TKO 600 RR
68 'vert driver RS clone -- gone!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 11:45 AM

I bought four 15x7 wheels from Ricks, I had the rings so I can not attess to the quality, and the wheel was nicely finished and very true to round. I put the same size tire you are suggesting on the wheel.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Thanks for all the info everybody.

John (67fan),
You said you bought your 15x7s from Ricks, and also have 2356015s on them.
Couple of questions:

1) Ricks indicates their 15x7 is a 4.5" backspacing. Any clearence issues front or back with that setup and a 2356015 ?

2) Many vendors indicate their Rallys are now powder coated as opposed to painted. Does the finish look original to you ? Do they look Argent Silver or can you tell their powder coated ?

Thanks,
Mark

Any other input anyone has is appreciated.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 01:04 PM
Senior Tech
Chris

I bought the Wheel Vintiques repo rally wheels, trim rings and '67 disc caps about 2 1/2 years ago. I've had good luck with them and they look like I just bolted them on. They might have needed more wheel weights than others, but I don't care so long as the wheel can be balanced. I don't drive at very high speeds, so I can't vouch for 120+ speeds or anything like that. bought them from Summit, price was right.

1969 Camaro
Electric Blue Lacquer Paint
355/400 HP, M-21 4-Speed, 8.5 10-Bolt 4:11 Posi
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Hmm......the guys at Rick's are telling me that a 2356015 is too much tire and that I will still get rubbing in the back even with a 7" rim, regardless of backspacing. I did a number of searches here before making this post and saw where others stated they were running this combo with no problem.

???????????

What backspacing do you guys recommend for a 2356015 ?

I would have thought the stock 4.25" was a good compromise between clearance and filling the wheelwell.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 02:56 PM

I can only say that I get no rubbing at all with the 235's in back and 225's in front, both on 15x7 with 4.5 spacing. As for the color; I would say it's silver paint, maybe just a hair too silver, but it does not look powdercoated-

I hope that helps some-
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Thanks....that does help a lot.

I think I'll probably order from Rick's then.
I was concerened that a 2356015 might rub on a 4.5" backspacing wheel.

I'm glad to hear your's aren't rubbing in back. Are they real close to the shocks ?

Anybody running 2356015s in front on 15x7 4.5"bs Rallys ?

Thanks Again Everybody
Mark
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 03:31 PM

i got mine from u.s. wheel and they look good not on car yet tho
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 07, 03:41 PM
Senior Tech
Craig

I am also getting ready to order a set of Ralley wheels for my car. I run 245/60s in the back and was also going to order the 15X7 wheels from Ricks. Now im definitely worried about rubbing with 245s. Anyone runs 245s with these rims?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 07, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Team Member

Bummer.

I bought Rick's 15x7 4 1/2" bs wheels (Wheel Vintiques) and Rick's reproduction trim rings (TR8-R) and the trim rings have about a 1/2" gap between the bottom of the ring and the wheel. They look like crap.
I searched a few posts here and find they should be no more than about a 1/4" gap. Bummer.

Anybody know a trim ring that will fit this rim ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode