NEW Rims hitting Shocks - Team Camaro Tech
Wheels & Tires What fits what?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Send a message via AIM to softail02
NEW Rims hitting Shocks

OK my new TT2's the rims are 9.5 with 5.5 back space (i am going downstairs to remeasure) I hade slapper bars on the car now I switch over to shock plates with 2'' lowering blocks and thought every thing was good then I walked in the hause today and looked at the rims and saw the lower part of the shocks and plates sittin on the rim? Wht is this happen I read with 9.5 rims I needed 5.5 rims.

HELP BEFORE I JUMP OFF A BRIDGE

70 RS Pro-Street stiil have
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 RS/SS EX wife's ( C**T) car lost cause my state sucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Tahoe LTZ lost cause my state sucks
02 2500 crew LT Duramax FOR SALE
04 Fatboy sold to pay lawyer fees

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 03:49 PM
Senior Tech
Rex

Re: NEW Rims hitting Shocks

I ran into the sme problem trying to use 2" block. I had to use 1" block and it still looks good. I am going to order DSE 2" drop springs. I use the same rims and size tires as you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news>

69 x-11..LS1, 420.88 horse to the tires,750 Holley Ultra DP, Torquer V2, darksides headers, PRC heads, 10.8:1 compression, forged bottom end, 5 speed. 2008 King Ranch F150 4x4.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

First I think the block is too big and it looks to me like you have the wrong shocks for the multi-leaf shock plate. My shocks have a stud that is built into and through the bottom eye that is flush with the eye on the wheel side, nothing protudes out towards the wheel.

...Dennis

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Two choices, I see:
1. Shorten the lowering block by half the thickness
2. Add a spacer between the wheel and axle flange.

I vote for #1.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Rex some times bad news is what i need to hear, it figures since I loved the look of the 2 inch blocks. I was wondering if I could heat and bend up where the shocks mount so they are sticking up

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

What worries me is when the spring begin to sag over time even if I have 2 inches the spring plate on the bottom will hit the rim.

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

No, shock plate and wheel are connected to each other. If spring sags, shock will never hit wheel if you have a shorter block.

Shock plate is bolted to axle, wheel is bolted to it. The distance will never change unless, God forbid, the axle flange breaks.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Then I dont understand why it didnt hit when I put them on it seems that after a few days the spring settled a little is when they started hitting.. Thank all for the help.

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

How much clearance then?

'
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 06:09 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

The sag, if you are experiencing some is most likely from the rear shackles settling in after installing the blocks. Your springs have a certain arch and if you didn't remove them when you installed the blocks the shackles started out where they were before the blocks. The blocks changed the arch of teh spring. The spring as it tries to find it's natural arch for your load slowly moved the shackle lowering the car some.

Loosen the shackles (both upper and lower) and try a 1 1/2" block. Set the car back on it's wheels and then tighten the shackles.

...Dennis

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 06:13 PM

A '67 car use's a through bolt!

A '68 and '69 use a stud!!

My 17" x 5.25" or so allow my '67 stuff to tuck inside, otherwise you need a 3.75" B/S for a 14" rim!!

Hope this helps??

pdq67

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 06:13 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

I should have added with those 255's if you run a 1/4" wheel spacer you might not have to to trim the fender lip with the car sitting still or driving in a straight line but corners and driveways at an angle to avoid scraping may cause some tire rub. If you have drums in the back it will be less of a problem.

...Dennis

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 07, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Thanks guys, I am going to cut them on a band saw tomarrow 1 1/2....

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD View Post
First I think the block is too big and it looks to me like you have the wrong shocks for the multi-leaf shock plate. My shocks have a stud that is built into and through the bottom eye that is flush with the eye on the wheel side, nothing protudes out towards the wheel.
I cut them down 1/2 inch and still have the problem If my shock was mounted without that little spacer I would be cool. Does anyone have some pic's of the proper shock on and off the mount. Thank you

2010 Caddy CTS 3.6
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 07, 05:49 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

You had to gain something removing a half inch... The spacer is required but not the nut and bolt head.

Here's a multi-leaf Koni...

...Dennis

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode